PURPOSE: The Program Instructor will plan, direct, and implement one or mor program areas:Archery, Sports, Art & Crafts, Hiking, Nature, Outdoor Living, Rock-climbing or Sailing., in accordance with GSUSA and ACA standards and state regulations, and coordinate that program with total camp program.
1. Sets up Program areas during staff training.
2. During staff training, instructs staff on their roles and responsibilities when in the program areas.
3. Teaches and monitors proper use of equipment. Conducts daily check of area and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair and arranges for repairs as needed.
4. Conducts initial and end-of-season inventory, and stores equipment for safety.
5. Writes lesson plans that will foster campers’ skills in relation to the Trail Master skill levels.
6. Keeps records on all campers; helps them progress from beginner to advance levels.
7. Sets a good example for campers and others including cleanliness, punctuality, sharing clean-up and chores, sportsmanship, and table manners.
8. Recognizes and responds to opportunities for problem-solving in the group.
9. Helps each participant meet the goals established by the camp for camper development.
10. Assists in supervising all assigned aspects of the campers’ day including morning reveille, kapers, meal times, rest hour, evening activities, getting ready for bed, and after-hours duty as assigned.
11. Submits requisition for equipment and supplies when needed, ensuring timely arrival of materials.
12. Formally evaluates staff at least twice a season, conducting other evaluations as necessary.
13. Evaluates current season and makes suggestions for following seasons.
14. Prepares for and actively participates in staff training.
15. Encourages respect for personal property, camp equipment and facilities.
16. Other duties as assigned.