Part-Time Campus Safety Officer
Maine Maritime Academy | Castine, ME
The Campus Safety Officer maintains a safe and secure environment by patrolling and monitoring Maine Maritime Academy’s campus to ensure the welfare and safety of the students, employees and visitors are protected. The employee will patrol the campus by foot and by vehicle in accordance with departmental procedures verifying all facilities are properly secured. He/she will work closely with Student Services to ensure the students are safe by following the Academy’s rules. This position will work with the campus community by responding promptly and professionally to customer requests for assistance with student-related issues, parking questions or emergency situations. This position will be expected to respond to campus emergencies, incidents and other health and safety concerns.
- Ability and endurance necessary to work the hours needed to complete the job.
- Attendance at all mandatory meetings.
- Regular attendance required and ability to be flexible about schedule.
- Keep direct supervisors and director apprised of issues as they arise.
- Respond courteously to members of the MMA community, students and the public.
- Assist in maintaining required records according to campus policies and regulatory requirements.
- Provide emergency response support for the campus during working hours and from time to time off work hours.
- Work with the campus personnel and safety committee to promote safe work practices.
- Report daily to the Director or their designated surrogate providing updates on campus-related issues.
- Knowledgeable about campus policies and procedures, especially as they relate to safety and security. Ability to follow and execute same.
- Assist visitors by answering questions or providing information and/or assistance.
- Assist the Facilities Department with shovelling snow or spreading salt/sand on the sidewalks.
- Patrol the campus by foot and off-campus by vehicle to identify any suspicious activity, potential safety hazards or security concerns.
- Enforce campus parking rules by assisting students, employees or visitors with parking questions or issuing parking tickets.
- Patrol and secure campus buildings, identifying any security issues, maintenance needs or other concerns by both logging and reporting issues to supervisor.
- Investigate campus incidents and document the facts by preparing an accurate incident report in a timely manner
- Maintain a shift log detailing activities, events or occurrences.
- Responds to building fire alarms, assist occupants with evacuating the building and work with the fire department to identify the cause of the alarm.
- Respond to campus emergencies and request assistance from first responders (i.e. police, fire, medical, etc.) as necessary.
- Assist residential life personnel with student-related issues.
- Ensure weapons stored on campus are inventoried and secured in accordance with the departmental procedure.
- Maintain and inspect life safety equipment, including but not limited to: AED’s, eyewash stations, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, etc. as directed in accordance with department and manufacturer’s protocols.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to take instruction from supervisors: quickly and effectively carry out orders during both normal working environments and emergency situations
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret safety documents, SOPs and manuals.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to maintain composure in a stressful environment.
- Must be detail oriented and effectively communicate with students, employees, residents of Castine and State/Local agencies.
- Must be able to effectively and accurately document facts as they are reported and/or witnessed.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Must be able to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel, ability to search internet and use campus email.
- Criminal background clearance.
- Must obtain or possess CPR/First Aid/AED certification.
- Valid, clean driver’s license.
- Schedules flexibility required, shift work, weekend and overnight hours required, occasional call-ins
- This position requires physical exertion standing, walking, running and climbing up and down up to four flights of stairs.
- Uses hands and arms to reach, lift, and/or carry on occasion
- Ability to walk across campus, up and down hills and onboard ship(s).
- Position occasionally lifts up to 50 pounds.
- This position requires frequent hearing, listening skills.
- Visually assesses situations involving campus life safety and security.
- Noise level is moderate to loud noise when walking in and out of mechanical rooms and exposure to fire alarm systems.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested individuals must submit a cover letter, résumé, a completed MMA Application, MMA Self-Identification Form*, copies of applicable professional certifications, transcripts and/or licenses, and contact information for at least three professional references to:
Director of Human Resources
Box C – 3
Castine, ME 04420
*Do not include the MMA Self-Identification form in the same document as your application materials. You may attach it to the same email as a separate document.
PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
In the subject line of your email, please write the full title of the position you are applying for and your name. For all faculty appointments, official college transcripts must be received prior to a formal offer being made for employment. All offers are made contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation. Individuals cruising onboard our ships are also required to undergo a pre-employment drug-screening.
For the health and wellbeing of our community, the Maine Maritime Academy campus and vessels (ashore and afloat) are smoke- and tobacco-free as of August 1, 2016.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
The Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, marital status, sex, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, genetic information, or physical or mental disabilities. The Academy provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals upon request.
Women, minorities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.