Penobscot Community Health Care | United States
Performs professional, high-quality dental services to general public patients with diverse
cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Provides high-quality dental health care to all who request services.
2. Provides competent and thorough assessment and treatment.
3. Provides referral for specialty care, case management and hygienist care as appropriate.
4. Functions effectively as member of dental clinic team with appropriate day-to-day clinical
5. Maintains policies, regulations and licensure.
6. Maintains current knowledge in field.
7. Enhances public image of the program and agency through professional conduct and
8. Performs basic dentistry services within professional ability, including, but not limited to:
extractions, restorations, impressions, x-rays and oral exams.
9. Encourages appropriate services through written treatment plans and referrals or recall.
10. Promotes smoking cessation counseling for patients.
11. Responsible for patient clinical chart recordings, treatment plans.
12. Participates in outreach activities on behalf of patients and PCHC.
13. Attends required staff meetings and, as requested, participates in program planning.
14. Provides preventive oral health education.
15. Maintains professional education and knowledge on dental procedures and practices.
16. Provides professional in-service for clinic staff.
17. Will share responsibility of attending for GPR’s and shared monitoring and coverage of
18. Mentors healthcare students.
19. Communicates with team members to induce a positive and productive work environment.
20. Works as an integral part of the interdisciplinary team to insure high-quality patient care and
21. Complies with and shares in implementation of all OSHA safety and infection control
22. Conforms to the terms of employment contract, all grant and funding conditions, and any
relevant agreements between PCHC and other entities.
23. Performs other related activities, as required, to assure program/department success.
24. Interacts harmoniously and effectively with others, focusing upon the attainment of
organizational goals and objectives through a commitment to teamwork.
25. Conforms to acceptable attendance and punctuality standards as expressed in the Employee
26. Complies with all safety rules and protocols. Reports all accidents, regardless of severity,
immediately to supervisor and completes incident/injury report and investigation form,
which will be forwarded to Human Resources within 24 hours of incident.
27. Abides by the organizations compliance program and requirements.
28. Current on all required training for current year.
29. Provides services to external sites as required, if needed.
30. Performs all other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of the principles and practice of family dentistry.
2. Knowledge of the state and federal laws pertaining to Dentistry and to community health
3. Knowledge of the structure and function of community health centers.
4. Maintains Board Certification
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
· Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, medicinal preparations and
other conditions common to a medical practice setting.
· Normal medical office environment.
· Involves frequent contact with staff, patients and the public.
· Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with people who are angry or
· Working extended hours may be required as needed.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
· Degree from an accredited School of Dentistry and a valid license to practice dentistry in
· Completion of post graduate training or 3-5 years’ of work experience required.
· Demonstrated ability to perform all aspects of basic dentistry services and to work as a team
· Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong commitment to public health
· Clinical and public health experience.
· Must hold a valid license to practice dentistry in the State of Maine.
· Must be registered with the State of Maine Board of Dental Examiners.
· Will have up-to-date training and certification in Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support
issued by American Heart Association, American Red Cross or American Health & Safety
Institute. Must obtain within 3 months if not current at hire.