Medical Assistant - Entry Level
Waldo County General Hospital |
Performs selected clinical and clerical duties that assist in patient care working within WCHC's Medical Assistant Scope of Practice.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; Certified Medical Assistant through NCCA accredited program; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Previous medical office experience helpful. Demonstrated knowledge of medical office procedures. Knowledge of medical terminology. Demonstrated knowledge of computer systems, and applications with necessary typing or computer skills.
Within 24 months of hire, must complete education and meet other certification requirements to successfully complete National Healthcare Association's Clinical Medical Assistant Certification. (Certification required as per CMS credentialed Medical Assistant ruling.)
CERTIFCATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Current CNA certificate; or MA certification through an NCCA accredited program preferred. See additional requirements under "Qualifications".
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS Recommended
- Actively participates in maintaining a safe, clean, patient-centered practice environment.
- Prepares patients for age-appropriate examination and treatment. Takes patient histories, vital signs and pain scale appropriate to visit. Anticipates patient and provider needs; maintains timely flow of patients.
- Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments and supplies; assists in room turn-over including appropriate cleaning and disinfection of soiled surfaces and patient care equipment.
- Performs any ordered CLIA-waived testing, EKGs, phlebotomy or administration of IM/SubQ injections for which competency has been demonstrated.
- Performs department specific patient care duties such as wound care or test preparation per order of a provider after completion of appropriate competencies.
- Assists with patient requests for medication renewals, medical supplies, or DME by preparing prescription orders in the EMR for provider approval.
- Assists providers with minor office-based procedures including cleaning and processing of instruments for sterilization as needed in the department.
- Answers telephone and takes messages from patients and caregivers as necessary. Collects pertinent information and documents call in a professional manner.
- Assists with assigned State, Federal or Insurance documentation including but not limited to immunization tracking, prior authorizations, Advanced Beneficiary Notification or Advanced Directives.
- Prepares forms, sorts mail, and appropriately scans documents into EMR.
- Other specified duties as assigned including but not limited to quality control checks, ordering supplies, stocking of patient care or office areas, assisting with monthly safety surveys, reception duties.
- Participates in practice performance improvement initiatives and/or quality workflow initiatives and assigned clinical competencies.
- Assists as needed with reception and check-in/check-out duties greeting and registering patients in a prompt, pleasant, and helpful manner.
- Schedules appointments in the practice or assists with referrals for patient care as assigned. Acts as a liaison between provider, and other WCHC entities in facilitating patient care services including testing or other services ordered by the provider.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer systems and applications with necessary typing and basic computer navigation skills.
- Successfully completes WCHC's annual education and competency requirements.
- Models the Code of Conduct by always placing patients first, being accountable for consistently demonstrating professional behavior, communicating with patient, families and coworkers in an open, honest and respectful manner and supporting all team members in a productive, collaborative and courteous manner.
18. Provides a clean, safe and secure environment for patients and others by following hospital safety policies and procedures.
19. Maintains competency through ongoing training and education including mandatory hospital inservices yearly.
Job Code: 106991
Posted On: 04/21/18
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Job Type: Regular
Job Status: Per Diem
Additional Contact Info