Director of Finance
Sweetser | Saco, ME
• Develops and maintains department-level policies and business rules that supports a robust and effective internal control environment and is in compliance with accreditation, licensure, federal and state rules and regulations.
• Develops the organization’s annual budget incorporating Board approved assumptions. Partners with Leadership and Financial Analysts to build department-level budgets.
• Monitors the financial performance of the organization throughout the fiscal year with the performance and oversight of monthly financial analysis. Engages in and recommends corrective strategies as appropriate.
• Provides accurate and timely financial reporting and analysis to all levels of the organization and all external parties in accordance with contracts and regulations.
• Oversees and participates in preparation of all financial, compliance, and workers' compensation audits.
• Partners with members of leadership to engage in scenario analysis and build budgets/rates for new business that support department-level and organization-level goals.
• Maintains a comprehensive understanding of revenue streams, the accounts payable/cash disbursement cycle, and payroll cycles and monitors performance of these cycles to ensure accurate financial analysis and forecasting and alignment with contracts.
• Maintains the general ledger software to ensure that it fairly represents the organization’s profile and accurately captures all financial information.
• Oversee the general ledger function, including month end close and the monthly reconciliation process.
• Performs cash management and treasury functions. Monitors cash flow.
• Partners with internal and external stakeholders to achieve professional and organizational goals.
• Participates as staff support on sub-committees of the Board of Directors, including Finance and Audit and on ad hoc and ongoing meetings that support Sweetser’s operations.
• Supervises direct reports and provides consistent feedback to optimize their performance and reach professional goals. Maintains accurate job descriptions and performs annual summary evaluations of performance. Hires and manages staff turnover consistent with human resource policies.
• Communicates the importance of and implements risk management efforts.
• Triage and resolution of unexpected financial events and related program needs.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Demonstrated experience utilizing technology on a day-to-day basis for communicating by e-mail, preparing reports, and conducting research.
• Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications, including Word, Excel, or equivalent.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff.
• Ability to adapt to change and handle stressful situations.
• Knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Four (4) year Bachelors Degree required. CPA or MBA preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
• Maintain a valid state driver’s license.
• At least five (5) years of experience in similar role.
• Demonstrated understanding of generally accepted accounting principles, MAAP, 2 CFR Chapter 1, Chapter II Part 200.
• Demonstrated competency with general ledger and payroll software.
• Demonstrated experience with utilizing trend data in management planning efforts.
Sweetser has been providing behavioral health services to children and adults since 1828. A nationally recognized and accredited organization, Sweetser offers a continuum of services that address emotional disturbances, mental illnesses, behavioral disorders, substance abuse issues, and learning disabilities.
Working in more than 75 communities throughout Maine, Sweetser’s clinical staff includes psychiatrists, psychologists, advanced practice psychiatric nurses and licensed clinical social workers, among others. Clinical staff work with a variety of programs designed to improve the health, safety, and quality of life for our clients. Sweetser employees are experienced and many have maintained long careers with the organization.
As part of our dynamic, growing organization, you can help make a difference in the lives of the children, adults and families of Maine. A nationally recognized and accredited leader, we have the resources to help you excel: competitive salaries, a wide range of benefits and a motivated team of more than 700 employees. Find out how Sweetser can make all the difference in your career!