Youth STEM Instructor at the Pineland Branch YMCA of Southern Maine
YMCA of Southern Maine | New Gloucester, ME
Salary Range :11.0000 To 14.0000 (USD) Hourly
Looking for a job where you can have FUN and make a difference in your community? Consider the Y!
The YMCA of Southern Maine is a charitable community organization committed to building strong communities through programs and services for all. We value diversity and inclusion, and actively work to create a safe, welcoming place for our neighbors. Each year, we serve over 30,000 people through child care, early childhood education, water safety, housing support, summer camp, and community outreach and health programs. As a nonprofit organization, our programs are accessible to all, regardless of one’s ability to pay.
This position will work under the direction of the Youth Development Director to develop and instruct safe, enriching and effective youth and family programs that meet the needs of the participants. Also perform projects which are assigned by the Director and Executive Director.
1. Provides safe, effective and creative instruction for individuals at all levels.
2. Provides quality and timely guidance, instruction and support to all members through proper instruction in group settings.
3. Educate adult members on current relevant principles, practices and research finding and healthy lifestyle information as relevant to child’s class, or child as interested.
4. Provides effective individual supervision and encouragement during program time
5. Finds approved coverage for classes when unable to instruct.
6. Is cooperative with providing fill in assistance for co-workers as needed
7. Attends meetings as directed.
8. Actively participates in the Annual Support Campaign.
9. Assists with special Y activities and events as requested by Director or Executive Director.
10. Performs special projects as directed by the Director or Executive Director.
11. Reports any incidents, accidents or problems in a timely and effective manner to appropriate personnel.
12. Is accurate and timely in maintaining department records.
13. Ensures all equipment is clean, in working order and, if applicable, maintenance records are properly documented; reports any concerns to appropriate personnel.
14. Acknowledges members and/or residents in a courteous and professional manner.
15. Meets the association standard for attendance, punctuality and dependability.
16. Demonstrates good documentation skills and accuracy in facility records.
17. Other duties as required.
• 1+ years of experience working with youth in a childcare, coaching or other setting.
• 2-3 years’ experience or expertise in specific program field.
• CPR and First Aid Certification (within 1 month of hire).
• YMCA of the USA Principles of Healthy Lifestyles (within 3 months of hire), if applicable.
• Redwoods Child Safety training (within 1 month of hire).
• Exercise good judgment around areas of responsibility.
• Demonstrate a high tolerance for interruptions and varied routine.
• Proven desire to “take charge” of areas of responsibilities.
• Ability to keep confidences related to office and personnel matters.
• Ability to work successfully with many types of people.
• Possess the ability to handle multiple tasks and demands.