Bangor YMCA | Bangor, ME
Job Title: Administrative Assistant Department: Administration
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Status: Full Time
Reports to: Finance Manager & Director of Development Revision Date: July 2018
The Bangor YMCA is looking for a dedicated, organized individual to join their Y Family in this full-time, 40-hour position. This person will split their days, assisting the Finance Manager with accounting tasks in the morning, and assisting the Director of Development with fundraising campaign administrative needs each afternoon.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS FOR THE FINANCE DEPARMENT:
- Audits check requests and purchase orders for completeness and makes corrections as necessary. Inputs purchase orders. Processes invoices for payment
- Inputs vendor and expense distribution data in the accounts payable system
- Assists Finance Manager with accounts payable check runs. Files appropriate documentation and maintains accounts payable files
- Works with vendors and staff to resolve invoice discrepancies. Reviews vendor statements for past due invoices and works with vendors and branches to keep accounts current
- Maintains responsive and cooperative relationships with vendors and branches regarding accounts payable
- Purchases office and other miscellaneous supplies. Verifies receipt of goods
- Performs other duties as assigned
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS FOR THE DEVELOPMENT DEPARMENT:
- Organizes donor databases and prepares donor communications from database development, to mail merging, double-checking files, and printing
- Produces high volumes of handwritten documents
- Possess the following traits:
- Great memory for names, numbers, and dates
- Attention to detail and ability to create organized procedures to complete a task
- Ability to learn new things quickly, asks for support when appropriate
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment with occasionally shifting deadlines and needs
- Positively represents the YMCA through professional conduct and appearance.
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Complete incident and accident reports as necessary
- Performs other duties as assigned
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Associate’s degree preferred, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of general ledger and accounting functions
- Experience in data entry with working knowledge of spreadsheets and word processing
- Exceptional written & verbal communications, and problem solving skills
- Experience with standard business software and excellent personal computer skills; specifically, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, with mail merge proficiency
- Detail-oriented: an attention to detail with zero tolerance for errors
- Ability to complete all projects, meets deadlines, and prioritizes tasks in occasionally high stress situations
- Ability to work both independently, with minimal supervision, and in a team environment.
- Exceptional penmanship for addressing envelopes
- Ability to be discrete and trustworthy while working with sensitive or confidential information
- Ability and willingness to run job specific errands
- Ability to easily gain familiarity with information in your job scope
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.