Assistant Director of Donor Relations
Bates College | Lewiston, ME
The Employer has temporarily removed this posting
Bates is one of the nation's leading liberal arts colleges, with a long history of commitments to principles of human dignity and diversity.
Founded by abolitionists in 1855, Bates has been coeducational and has welcomed students regardless of race and ethnicity since its founding. The college's commitment to academic excellence, intellectual exploration, inclusivity, and engaged citizenship defines its character.
Bates offers a rigorous and highly personalized education that centers on deep and sustained interactions among students, faculty, and community. Bates engages the forces - intellectual trends, demographic changes, and technology - that are transforming higher education and the world into which our students graduate.
Bates has about 2,000 students from a wide variety of backgrounds. The student body represents 44 states and 53 countries; approximately 23 percent are domestic students of color, 7 percent of students are international, and 13 percent of all students are first generation to college.
The College has 210 faculty members and 750 staff and administrative employees. As one of the top employers in the state, Bates recruits its faculty and staff nationally, regionally, and locally. They consist of diverse individuals with a broad range of intellectual, professional, and personal experience.
Bates is proud of its deep roots in the Lewiston\/Auburn community, an urban center with a demographically diverse population of approximately 65,000 people. With a rich industrial past, Lewiston\/ Auburn has seen great transition in the last 30 years and offers opportunities for cultural enrichment and meaningful community-engaged learning and leadership. Bates is located on a beautiful, 109-acre, traditional New England campus in Lewiston, a small city enjoying an exciting economic and cultural revitalization. Bates is 35 miles north of Portland, 140 miles north of Boston, and 340 miles north of New York City.
Bates College launched the Bates Campaign - the largest fundraising endeavor in our history - that will strengthen the institution for decades to come. The office of Donor Relations exists to advance Bates' fundraising efforts by fostering a culture of donor-centric stewardship and relationship building throughout the institution.
Reporting to the Director of Donor Relations and Campaign Programs, the Assistant Director of Donor Relations will serve as an event producer\/project manager with a portfolio of campus events and activities that support fundraising and engagement at Bates. The Assistant Director will partner closely with the Director of Donor Relations and Campaign Programs to implement and manage comprehensive programs and processes that will foster and sustain long-term meaningful relationships between the College and its donors. Key accountabilities include:
- Plan and execute the annual President's receptions during signature on-campus weekends, Back to Bates and Reunion.
- Plan and execute select endowed professorship and lecture celebrations associated with endowed funds, working with the Dean of Faculty's office and department chairs.
- Plan and execute select groundbreaking ceremonies and building dedications.
- Assist the Associate Director of Donor Relations and Campaign Programs with the execution of event logistics and communications for high-impact campaign and campus stewardship\/recognition events:
- Assists with an annual regional series of presidential\/campaign events (3+\/year) that increase attendance, pride, engagement, and philanthropy among our constituents. This will include campaign celebration events expected in major cities in FY21.
- Work with the President's Office during Trustee meetings and Commencement, including the planning and execution of the Honorary Degree Recipient Dinner (Honorand Dinner).
- Oversee mailing of large-scale and segmented communications both electronic and direct mail: generate invitee data, track RSVPs, strategize in attendee building, and manage registration processes including creation of registration pages using WordPress and iModules.
- Assists with the preparation of post-event analysis, which includes survey results, attendee stats, ROI, and budget expenditures.
- Develop and generate data analysis reports, spreadsheets, and statistical summaries using Argos, Banner, and Excel.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of Bates history, academic, extracurricular and athletic programs, and its faculty, students and administration.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the college's priorities and initiatives of the faculty and administration.
- Participate in departmental and professional training programs to increase expertise in the profession when appropriate.
- Adhere to departmental standards, policies, and procedures with respect to all aspects of his\/her work.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor's degree. A valid driver's license is also required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 3+ years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated success in event management is recommended.
- Understanding of database systems, business office software, and reporting software.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships. Must be flexible, collaborative, and have a positive attitude.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; ability to synthesize complex or diverse information; and experience working with complex data sets.
- Impeccable organizational skills and ability to coordinate resources and staff within the college community.
- Ability to both work independently and as a team player while handling multiple priorities with minimal supervision.
- Keen attention to detail necessary for successful documentation, planning and execution.
- Proficiency in basic data management systems and basic computer applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability and willingness to travel (by car, air, train or bus) domestically and internationally as needed.
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, evenings and other non-traditional schedules.
- High ethical standards; ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusivity and to serving the needs of a culturally and educationally diverse and inclusive community with diplomacy and tact.
- Successful completion of a background check.
Bates College offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits (health, dental, 9% retirement contribution with potential for an additional 3% match, 24 days of vacation, 12 paid holidays, free parking, access to library and athletic facilities & more) and a supportive, collegial environment in a drug- and smoke-free workplace.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. This position requires successful completion of a pre-employment background screening. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. (References will not be contacted without your permission.)
Bates College is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and providing an educational and work environment free from discrimination. The college prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected statuses in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the administration of its education policies and programs, or in the recruitment of its faculty and staff. Bates College adheres to all applicable state and federal equal opportunity laws and regulations. All college faculty, staff, students, contractors, visitors, and volunteers are responsible for understanding and complying with the Non-Discrimination Policy.
Inquiries concerning the college's policies, compliance with applicable laws, statutes, and regulations (such as Title VII, Title IX, and ADA\/Section 504), and complaints may be directed to Gwen Lexow, Title IX Officer, 207-786-6445 or via email at email@example.com.