C.N.A - Med/Surg - Ortho
Mid Coast Parkview Health | Brunswick, ME
The Employer has temporarily removed this postingOverview
Assists in the administration of nursing care to designated patients under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse. Performs a variety of direct and indirect care duties.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Documents and performs procedures in accordance with established standards.
- Demonstrates punctuality and scheduling flexibility.
- Maintains a clean and safe environment for patients and coworkers.
- Utilizes equipment and supplies effectively and in a fiscally responsible manner; reports malfunctions to nursing and follows through with maintenance work order requests.
- Accomplishes assignment in a timely manner under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
- Upholds excellent guest relations with patients and staff.
- Communicates pertinent information to supervising RN/LPN.
Patient Care Duties
- Assists nurse in admitting patients, admission vital signs, height, weight; orients patient and family to room, phone, TV, visiting hours and meals.
- Keep established plan of care under the supervision of RN partner
- Anticipates and performs general patient care as relates to hygiene and daily activities.
- Assists patients with nutrition and hydration by setting up and/or feeding patients. Provides fluids and nutritional snacks within patients diet order. Assists with menu selection. Records I+O and records, documents actual food intake. Follows dysphagia program protocol.
- Performs active and passive ROM and assists patients with exercise programs established by Physical Therapy.
- Ambulates patients while maintaining safety, using adjunct equipment such as walker, quad cane, crutches, etc.
- Assists patients with pulmonary toilet by coaching patients with coughing, deep breathing, turning and incentive spirometry.
- Performs simple nonsterile treatments within scope of practice.
- Assists patients with elimination by providing bedpan, commode, or assistance to toilet. Also administers enemas and glycerin suppositories under the direction of RN (signed of with permission) Performs foley catheter and peri care.
- Obtains and labels specimens; processes or delivers them appropriately; performs urine testing.
- Maintains adequate stock of standard precautions supplies in patients rooms.
- Tidies kitchen, utility rooms and patient rooms throughout each shift. o. Prepares patient for discharge by collecting belongings and cleaning patient unit once patient has left, includes post mortem care.
- After patient is discharged, cleans equipment used on patient (telemetry units, hoyer lift pads, bedpans, etc.)
- Assists co-workers as time allows.
- Functions in a float role within facilities, as needed.
- Follows guidance and direction as necessary
- Maintains interdepartmental communications.
- Establishes good rapport and professional working relationships with nursing personnel, physicians, and ancillary staff.
- Actively participates in staff meetings, and in open, constructive communication.
- Addresses patients, visitors, and colleagues in a positive and respectful manner
- BLS certification required.
- CNA Certification, State of Maine