Chemical Engineer / Materials Scientist
Corning | Kennebunk, ME
The Employer has temporarily removed this posting
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people's lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position (i.e. projects involved with and role within group):
We're seeking a qualified Chemical Engineer or Materials Scientist to join our development team. This exciting role involves providing hands-on technical expertise on a range of multi-functional projects, including materials selection and processing, product and process design, development, and improvement of Life Science products. In this role, you will be dedicated, have phenomenal attention to detail and be inventive, with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, impeccable interpersonal and organizational skills and a willingness to keep abreast of industry advances. Your proven experience in communicating, coordinating and collaborating with people in other technical and non-technical disciplines is required for this role.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Lead technical teams in advancement and improvement of new products and existing products.
- Prototype new product concepts
- Determine protocols for use of new or improved products
- Contribute to growth of the intellectual property portfolio
- Perform activities to develop new products including collecting VoC, crafting, developing, integrating and implementing new and improved processes and technologies
- Conduct tests to evaluate the efficiency of processes and reliability of products
- Evaluate processes and equipment versus regulatory requirements
- Diagnose and solve problems with processes and implement changes as required
- Schedule and coordinate project activities to align with deadlines and budgets
Travel Requirements (please note if international): We have minimum travel expectations for you not to exceed 15%.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- 40 hours/week, 8am-4:30pm, flexibility can be discussed
Education and Experience (minimum required for consideration)
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering or Materials Science required
- Minimum of 3+ years' experience in a new product development environment and demonstrated success in bringing new products to market
- Familiarity with disposable life science products
- Experience with common polymer materials such as PS, PP, PET
- Deep knowledge of polymer biocompatibility and leachable/extractable considerations
- Exceptional understanding of material properties and processing
- Ability to hand craft crude prototypes
- Excellent problem-solving and strong analytical skills, methodical thinker, makes decisions and draws conclusions based on statistically relevant data
- Ability to evaluate, prioritize, and select solutions that satisfy customer needs/problems while ensuring Corning profitability including consideration of manufacturability
- Experience in development of new polymeric material technologies to enable cost reduction and/or performance improvement for existing products and aid in the development of new product lines
- Well organized with thorough documentation, laboratory notebook, and record keeping skills
- Innate curiosity, self-starter and independent
- Proficiency with disposable life science products
- Background with common polymer assembly techniques
- Experience with polymer surface treatment/modification (through wet and/or dry chemistry)
- Ability to hand craft functioning prototypes
- Experience participating on project teams in a stage gate process, following ISO 9001 or ISO13485, cGMP, Design Controls
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership)
Do you have a command of the English language with excellent verbal and written skills? Does your experience include authoring detailed technical reports, and communication to non-technical audiences? Do others describe you as having the ability to exhibit initiative, drive, commitment, curiosity, and creativity in a positive and dynamic, team based, group? Do you enjoy working collaboratively on teams and interacting with other scientists, engineers, technicians, business directors and commercial teams? We seek someone who is a self-starter, takes initiative, remains customer focused, values differences in people and ideas and displays potential for assuming a technical leadership or supervisory role in the future.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Nearest Major Market: Portland Maine