Consumer Education Coordinator
MaineHousing | Augusta, ME
Primary Purpose of Position: The Consumer Education Coordinator is responsible for increasing public awareness of MaineHousing’s First Time Homebuyer program throughout Maine, administering the HUD Comprehensive Housing Counseling Grant Program, and providing leadership and support to the hoMEworks’ homebuyer education program network. This position also helps build relationships with underserved and ethnically diverse populations.
Education /Experience: Education in adult learning and development, organizational development, or related field and four years of experience or a combination of education and work experience preferred.
- Provides leadership to the Board of Directors for hoMEworks, a non-profit organization dedicated to the delivery of standardized, comprehensive homeownership education throughout Maine. Organizes board meetings, coordinates trainings, and communicates policy decisions. Updates curriculum and website content, staffs hoMEworks exhibits at outreach events, and evaluates new educator applications.
- Oversees MaineHousing internally funded financial capabilities education and one-on-one housing counseling activities. Identifies ongoing needs, monitors expenditures, and compiles data.
- Administers MaineHousing’s HUD Housing Counseling Grant Program. Researches unmet needs, prepares grant application and budget, monitors disbursements, completes quarterly reporting, trains and monitors MaineHousing counselors and affiliate non-profit agencies delivering education and counseling services to ensure compliance with HUD’s regulatory requirements. Oversees MaineHousing’s pre-and post-purchase homebuyer outreach and education initiatives.
- Prepares Invitations for Proposal, drafts Professional Services Contracts, and secures venues and presenters for train-the-trainer education services.
- Develops contacts, builds business relationships, and coordinates Fair Housing workshops for ethnically diverse community groups and multi-family industry professionals.
- Shares MaineHousing’s home purchase and home repair program information at various public outreach events.
- Interfaces with MaineHousing’s Communications & Planning Department to enhance external communication with consumers and participates in marketing material design and website content.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Knowledge:
- Demonstrated ability to design, implement and manage consumer education programs
- Experience in researching, interpreting, planning and administering public purpose and grant funded programs
- Strong marketing, project management, time management, and organizations skills
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and utilize creative and analytical skills to resolve issues
- Strong skills based on emotional intelligence, commitment, integrity and sense of humor
- Able to build consensus, inspire, influence and enable others to achieve goals
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills; adept at working with and relating to diverse constituents in a fast-paced environment
- Thrive in a culture that is dynamic, mission-driven and client-centric, on a team that values results, flexibility, and humility; embody and act as a steward for MaineHousing’s mission in interactions with both internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated success in grant writing and managing reporting and compliance requirements for government-funded programs
- Strong organizational and project management skills
Working Conditions: Fast paced environment with multiple priorities, interruptions and deadlines. Work hours may include some nights, weekends, and travel in and out of state. The majority of the responsibilities will be performed within the MaineHousing facility.
Reports To: Director of Homeownership
The starting salary for this position is $49,692, plus a comprehensive benefits package. Please visit our website at www.mainehousing.org/careers for more information!