Copy of Police Patrol Officer
City of Saco | Saco, ME
Under the direct supervison of a Patrol Sergeant, Patrol Officers are responsible for the efficient performance of required duties in conformity with the rules, regulations, police, procedures and philosophies of the Saco Police Department. Following the philosophy of "With Dedication, Pride and Committment," the Patrol Officer's duties shall consiste of but not limited to a number of general police responsibilities necessary for the accomplishment of the police mission and ensuring the stability and safety of the community.
- Working knowledge of modern police science techniques, methods and procedures, and the ability to carry out the same.
- Knowledge of current Federal, State and local laws and ordinances and Court decisions relative to police officer enforcement abilities and restraints.
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively to determine the proper course of action to be taken.
- Ability to utilize self-defense techniques and weapons.
- Ability to safely operate motor vehicles under emergency situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other law enforcement agencies, other city agencies, fellow employees and, the general public.
- Ability to operate Department equipment.
- Ability to work calmly under conditions of high stress and, physical and emotional fatigue
- Patrol an assigned area for general purposes of crime prevention and law enforcement. Patrol includes:
- Apprehending persons violating the law or wanted by the police.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to:
- Walk or stand, sometimes for long periods of time, in adverse weather conditions.
- Run, sometimes sprinting at a high rate of speed for a short distance, over unsafe terrain or in adverse weather conditions.
- Climb or jump over obstacles
- Crawl under or through obstructions and in confined areas.
- Use body force to gain entrance or break through barriers.
- Push, pull, drag or carry objects or persons.
- Sit for extended periods of time.
- Restrain or subdue violently resistive subjects.
- Maintain mental alertness and a readiness to act, even during periods of calm and inactivity.
- Endure and withstand exposure to verbal, mental and physical abuse, including threats, taunts and insults to self, family or profession, reacting only in a professional, legal and procedurally acceptable manner.
- Perform a variety of tasks involving different and sometimes contrasting skills in rapid succession during short periods of time.
- Work patrol shifts 8 to 12 hours in length and adapt to irregular working conditions.
- Sit or stand and talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.