Designer, (2nd & 3rd Levels)
General Dynamics Bath Iron Works | Bath, ME
The Employer has temporarily removed this postingDepartment
B8700 Class Design
Number of Positions
BIW is hiring Marine Designers at the following entry levels:
2nd Class Designer: $22.48 - $24.24
3rd Class Designer: $18.85 - $21.69
These positions are for 2nd shift.
- Perform marine design activities that include but are not limited to 3D modeling & visualization
- Resolution of design related problems encountered during ship construction that involve occasional ship-
- Development of ship alteration drawings for repair/alteration of ships in the fleet
- Electronic drafting of installation & fabrication drawings
- Extraction of computer aided manufacturing data
Good computer skills (e.g., proficiency with Microsoft Office tools) required
- Ability to read, interpret and follow technical procedures, standards and work instructions
- Strong communication skills and ability to work in a team environment required
Ability to perform ship checks which entails going to the physical construction products on the waterfront and all fabrication locations.
Design experience in one of the following disciplines preferred; Loft, Structural, Electrical, Mechanical and Hull Outfit. Experience with ship structure and fabrication drawings with steel plates and shapes highly desirable.
2nd Class Designer - Minimum of four (4) years design experience or Associate/ Vocational School degree with two (2) years design experience required. 3D CAD or AUTOCAD proficiency required.
3rd Class Designer - Minimum of one (1) year design experience or Associate/Vocational School degree, or BIW's Manufacturing Division apprentice program, or seven (7) years experience as a first class mechanic in a marine trade required. Credit may be given for graphic arts or CIS experience. 3D CAD or AUTOCAD proficiency preferred.