Director of Homeless Initiatives
MaineHousing | Augusta, ME
Primary Purpose of Position:
The Director of the Homeless Initiatives Department leads the team responsible for the development of state rules, policies and programs that work to prevent and end homelessness in the state of Maine. The person in this role translates MaineHousing’s strategic goals to reduce the length of time and the number of Maine people experiencing homelessness and to improve housing stability for Maine people at risk into effective programming. With funding from both state and federal sources, this position collaborates with many external partners, including the Continuum of Care, Statewide Homeless Council, Shelter Directors Network and Department of Health and Human Services.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, government, public policy, or related field and five years of managerial and administrative experience or an appropriate combination of education and work experience preferred.
- Establish and maintain strong positive relationships with partners, including homeless service providers, municipal, state and federal agencies, and state and national associations,
- Actively collaborate with partners to address mutually shared goals and intended outcomes
- Seek regular feedback from all partners to ensure that federally and state funded programs are effective in meeting goals and benchmarks
Management of Department Infrastructure and Operations
- Provide inspirational leadership and clear direction to the department staff, and ensure continued development and management of a professional and efficient department
- Implement management style that is conducive to strong leadership, innovation and team building and reinforces the mission of and goals of the organization
- Assure a work environment that recruits, retains and supports quality staff
- Oversee annual operating budget, including financial goals and allocation of program resources.
- Oversee the day to day operation of the department to include programs, projects and activities
- Support an environment of collaboration and accountability, where roles and expectations are clearly established, but flexibility and creativity are highly valued
- Support and model an environment of learning and reinforce the value of continuous quality improvement
- Work to build a coaching culture and to develop intradepartmental teamwork
- Identify and deliver professional development opportunities that enhance the knowledge, skills and abilities of staff
- Design, develop and implement department programs, rules and policies that align with the strategic goals and objectives of MaineHousing
- Keep abreast of social trends and emerging issues around homelessness at the state and national level and propose potential programming to address them
Compliance and Program Evaluation
- Understand the overall regulatory framework, as well as technical compliance requirements outlined in applicable government funding agreements, to ensure that programs operate in compliance with applicable laws, regulations and contracts
- Provide direct coordination with funding and regulatory bodies, including submission of grant applications, negotiation of contracts, implementation of new or updated regulations and reporting requirements, and resolution of contract or performance challenges
- Oversee the monitoring of program services, evaluate and assess program impact, recommend program/policy changes and direct program shifts and improvements
- Monitoring funding and identify new funding opportunities
Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge of the homeless services system, including HUD priorities for programming and the Continuum of Care purpose and processes.
- Experience with public policy, systems change and affordable housing development/operations
- Strong leadership skills based on emotional intelligence, commitment, integrity and sense of humor
- Able to build consensus, inspire, influence and enable others to achieve goals
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills; adept at working with and relating to diverse constituents in a fast-paced environment
- Thrive in a culture that is dynamic, mission-driven and client-centric, on a team that values results, flexibility, and humility; embody and act as a steward for MaineHousing’s mission in interactions with both internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated success in grant writing and managing reporting and compliance requirements for government-funded programs
- Strong organizational and project management skills
Working Conditions: Fast paced environment with multiple priorities, interruptions & deadlines. The majority of the responsibilities will be performed at MaineHousing. MaineHousing office hours are Monday – Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
Reports To: Senior Director of Programs
Supervises: Manager of Homeless Initiatives and CoC Planning & Grants Coordinator
The starting salary for this position is $79,508, plus a comprehensive benefits package. Please visit our website at: www.mainehousing.org/careers to learn more!