Director of Innovation & Performance Management
City of Portland, Maine | Portland, ME
DIRECTOR OF INNOVATION & PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
The City of Portland is seeking to hire a Director of Innovation & Performance Management to take the lead on a number of smart and connected city initiatives that are currently underway and planned; and implement a full innovation, performance management, and continual process improvement agenda to support a vibrant, inclusive, and sustainable community that is committed to improving our citizens quality of life while providing efficient government services.
The Director of Innovation & Performance Management will be responsible for managing multiple strategic initiatives that will foster Portland as a leader in civic innovation, increase efficiency in city government, assist diverse teams in embracing new ideas, and provide policy support for the City Manager on a variety of topics and legislation including sustainability, resiliency, economic development, transportation, technology, and other policy topics.
The Director will explore and execute new ideas and innovative strategies into city plans; analyze trends in local government to forecast future changes in practices, processes, and programs; import innovations from other communities for testing in the city; utilize quantitative methods to identify opportunities for improvement in operations and services; provide oversight of metrics and data analytics to facilitate strategic utilization of data; and leverage partnerships and identify funding sources to carry out innovation agenda priorities.
The ideal candidate is a strategic and forward-thinking leader with a proven track record of initiating and influencing change, developing innovators, identifying problems, recommending solutions, generating results, and successfully managing long term projects. The individual must have the ability to build and maintain positive relationships through collaboration and diplomacy and should be able to communicate at all levels.
The Director will collaborate across all City departments, and will work closely with the City’s Director of Information Technology and Director of Communications. As a member of the City’s Executive Team, the Director of Innovation & Performance Management participates in the collective responsibility for the success of the entire city organization. The Director will also work with outside agencies, startup technology and innovation organizations and businesses, academic institutions, and regional and national organizations to accomplish these objectives.
- Experience in creating, facilitating, and maintaining multi-organizational collaborations & experience in managing a diverse array of team members
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial experience and orientation
- Demonstrated history of innovation, learning, customer-focus, and integrity
- Proven track record of influencing and affecting change, and managing change processes
- Experience in performance based management
- Experience in working with academic institutions and public private partnerships
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in Business or Public Administration, Political Science, Information Management, Public Policy, City or Urban Planning or Development, or closely related field. A Master’s degree is desirable.
- Ten (10)+ years of experience in a related innovation-intense discipline with experience in project management, emerging technologies, and change management.
- Five (5) years of recent management and executive level administrative and supervisory experience.
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others; excellent written, oral and interpersonal communications skills, and sound judgment.
Desirable Experience and Training
- Thorough knowledge of emerging trends with innovation within municipal and/or local government operations.
- Extensive knowledge of best practices in the areas of introducing and implementing innovation throughout an organization.
- Specialized training and certification in Project Management is strongly preferred
The City of Portland offers a competitive compensation package including excellent employee benefits. Salary range is $77,142 to $92,098.50/year.
Please apply by sending a cover letter and resume by January 31, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, as they are received. For questions, please email Kathleen Vosmus, Human Resources Assistant at email@example.com.
The City of Portland is strongly committed to diversity in its workforce.
Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply.
We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
Deadline to apply: Thursday, January 31, 2019