Director of Library Services
University of Maine at Augusta | Augusta, ME
UMA transforms the lives of students of every age and background across the State of Maine and beyond through access to high-quality distance and on-site education, excellence in student support, civic engagement, and professional and liberal arts programs.
UMA is the third largest public university in Maine. In addition to its main campus in the state’s capital, UMA also serves students at its campus in Bangor (UMA Bangor) and through University College centers around the state. With its multiple locations and long-term expertise in online and distance learning, UMA is generally considered the university of choice for Mainers of all ages who want to attend college without uprooting their lives.
The University of Maine Augusta is seeking applicants for the position of Director of Library Services at the Bennett D. Katz Library. The Director of Library Services works with the UMA community to develop an environment in which UMA students advance their information literacy skills. The director oversees the library's contribution to student success by building relationships with student, faculty, staff, and community stakeholders. The director ensures an inviting online and on-site library presence while also developing and maintaining a culture of assessment and evidence-based practice in the library.
- Recruit, evaluate, and supervise staff and workplace culture within UMA's libraries
- Establish priorities for ongoing library development within a larger institutional cycle of assessment and planning
- Provide formal library instruction to students on a regular basis, and to provide direct online and on-site support of students as needed
- Prepare an annual budget for UMA Libraries; oversee expenditures for the Bennett D. Katz Library
- Oversee the physical plant of the Bennett D. Katz Library
- Keep the Provost and President engaged with issues and developments relevant to academic libraries at regional, state and national levels
- Serve on the URSUS Library Directors' Council, collaborating with members to share services and resources
- Maintain a strong partnership between UMA's libraries and University College's Off-Campus Library Services department
- Plan and implement enhancements to existing library technology, typically in partnership with URSUS partners and Maine InfoNet
- Seek internal and external partners and funding sources, including grants, to advance the operations of the library?
- To help library employees identify appropriate directions and avenues for professional development, allocating resources for that development
- Perform other allied duties as assigned by the Provost and President
- Master's degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association
- Five years of professional academic library experience
- Two years of experience supervising multiple staff
- Two years of experience providing public services in academic libraries
- Experience providing library services to off-campus, non-residential students in online courses, or some combination of those elements
- Experience managing a budget in excess of $30,000
- Participation in professional library organizations
- Prior experience as a library director
- Ten years of professional library experience
- Experience collaborating with TRIO programs or other similar programs intended to amplify the higher education experience of at-risk students
- Experience working with students older than the "traditional" college age
- Experience working in a consortia environment, including cooperative buying clubs and/or shared catalogs
- Participates in professional and scholarly organizations through presentations and/or publications
Materials must be submitted via "Apply for Position." You will need to create an applicant profile, complete an application (which includes contact information for three professional references), and upload a cover letter which fully describes your qualifications and experiences with specific reference to the required and preferred qualifications and a resume/curriculum vitae . You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status form.
FMI and to apply: https://uma.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobID=41800&job=director-of-library-services&collection=true
Review of applications will begin July 14, 2017. Materials received on or after that date will be considered at the discretion of the university. We are not able to consider applicants who require Visa sponsorship support.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
UMA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. The University of Maine at Augusta does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, including transgender status and gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities.