Director of Sponsored Programs and Research Compliance
Bates College | Lewiston, ME
The Employer has temporarily removed this posting
Bates is one of the nation's leading liberal arts colleges, with a long history of commitments to principles of human dignity and diversity.
Founded by abolitionists in 1855, Bates has been coeducational and has welcomed students regardless of race and ethnicity since its founding. The college's commitment to academic excellence, intellectual exploration, inclusivity, and engaged citizenship defines its character.
Bates offers a rigorous and highly personalized education that centers on deep and sustained interactions among students, faculty, and community. Bates engages the forces - intellectual trends, demographic changes, and technology - that are transforming higher education and the world into which our students graduate.
Bates has about 2,000 students from a wide variety of backgrounds. The student body represents 44 states and 53 countries; approximately 23 percent are domestic students of color, 7 percent of students are international, and 13 percent of all students are first generation to college.
The College has 210 faculty members and 750 staff and administrative employees. As one of the top employers in the state, Bates recruits its faculty and staff nationally, regionally, and locally. They consist of diverse individuals with a broad range of intellectual, professional, and personal experience.
Bates is proud of its deep roots in the Lewiston\/Auburn community, an urban center with a demographically diverse population of approximately 65,000 people. With a rich industrial past, Lewiston\/ Auburn has seen great transition in the last 30 years and offers opportunities for cultural enrichment and meaningful community-engaged learning and leadership. Bates is located on a beautiful, 109-acre, traditional New England campus in Lewiston, a small city enjoying an exciting economic and cultural revitalization. Bates is 35 miles north of Portland, 140 miles north of Boston, and 340 miles north of New York City.
The Director of Sponsored Programs and Research Compliance is responsible for the evolution and administration of a comprehensive system for obtaining, managing and stewarding external grant support for faculty research and institutional priorities. The Director will provide leadership in all of these areas, overseeing a two-person office, working closely with the Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, senior staff and faculty to identify funding needs, prepare successful grant applications, and manage active grants effectively and efficiently. The Director is also responsible for research compliance in cooperation with the Dean of the Faculty, including working with the college's IRB, IACUC and IBC committees. The Director supports the strategic vision of the Office of the Dean of the Faculty to increase grant funding for faculty scholarship and institutional needs, and to improve grant writing and grants management skills across the college community.
- Knowledge of the Federal OMB Uniform Guidance, Federal Acquisition Regulations, state and private sponsor regulations, and procedures relating to grants and contracts over the full award cycle. Project management skills are key, along with the ability to prioritize.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Synthesizes information, develops, writes, and presents proposals, reports, and institutional correspondence in support of government grants.
- Managerial or supervisory experience is essential, as is experience in contract negotiations with granting agencies and institutions.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills, developed through relevant experience in research administration.
- Identifies, and solicits potential funding sources for faculty research, and institutional need.
- Coordinates with diverse constituencies across campus, including senior staff and faculty, to ensure effective grants management and timely, accurate and substantive grant reporting.
- Experience with pre-award research administration and research development, and knowledge of account as it relates to post-award grant administration.
- Designs and disseminates, through diverse online and social media platforms, information about grant seeking and funding opportunities.
- Knowledge of research compliance regulations, issues associated with intellectual property and technology transfer as it relates to college activities. Knowledge of issues associated with intellectual property and technology transfer.
- Provides technical assistance and implements training activities for faculty, staff, and students in support of grant seeking and grant management.
- Monitors and communicates with faculty and staff about policies and procedures related to mandated compliance issues. Ability to translate regulatory requirements into operational policies and procedures.
This is full-time, 12-month staff position. Occasional travel including day and overnight trips may be required.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor's degree.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of three to five years of applicable experience in grant writing, grants management, and research compliance, preferably in an academic setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience carrying out prospect research.
- Ability to conceptualize programs and communicate effectively and persuasively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to conceptualize programs.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both orally and in writing
- Strong organizational abilities.
- Ability to work effectively and comfortably manage multiple projects simultaneously of varying complexity, priority, and length while meeting strict deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships. Must be flexible, collaborative and value diplomacy, tact and discretion.
- Ability and willingness to travel (by car, air, train or bus) as needed.
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, evenings and other non-traditional schedules.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusivity and to serving the needs of a culturally and educationally diverse and inclusive community with diplomacy and tact.
- Personal commitment to excellence and the mission of a leading small liberal arts college.
- Successful completion of a background check is required.
Bates College offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits (health, dental, 9% retirement contribution with potential for an additional 3% match, 24 days of vacation, 12 paid holidays, free parking, access to library and athletic facilities & more) and a supportive, collegial environment in a drug- and smoke-free workplace.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. This position requires successful completion of a pre-employment background screening. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. (References will not be contacted without your permission.)
Bates College is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and providing an educational and work environment free from discrimination. The college prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected statuses in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the administration of its education policies and programs, or in the recruitment of its faculty and staff. Bates College adheres to all applicable state and federal equal opportunity laws and regulations. All college faculty, staff, students, contractors, visitors, and volunteers are responsible for understanding and complying with the Non-Discrimination Policy.
Inquiries concerning the college's policies, compliance with applicable laws, statutes, and regulations (such as Title VII, Title IX, and ADA\/Section 504), and complaints may be directed to Gwen Lexow, Title IX Officer, 207-786-6445 or via email at email@example.com.