Environmental Health & Safety Coordinator
BARGAINING UNIT: MEA Administrator, Level III
SALARY RANGE: $39,589 - $65,435 (starting $39,589 - $50,150)
BENEFITS: 100% employer paid health, dental and life insurance for employees (spouse/domestic partner/dependent coverage also available), vision insurance, choice of Maine Public Employees Retirement System or TIAA CREF in lieu of social security, generous vacation/personal/sick time allowances, 12 paid holidays, professional development, and free tuition within the MCCS for employees, spouse and/or dependents.
DESCRIPTION SUMMARY: At the direction of and in conjunction with the Director of Public Safety & Contract Services, this hands on position is responsible for assuring that programs and training are developed, implemented, documented, and maintained, for the protection of employees, students and the college community with respect to environmental, health and safety issues and for compliance with federal, state and local health and safety regulations at both SMCC campuses (South Portland and Brunswick). The Coordinator serves as the officer of records in complying with OSHA regulations, and as the campus representative for outside committees and working groups. The Coordinator must be task oriented, organized, and have good oral and written communication skills.
- Associate’s degree and five years of related work experience required
- OSHA 30-hour training certification in either general industry (1910) or construction industry (1026) standards
- Experience in waste management handling and manifesting
- Experience conducting, documenting, and communicating safety and environmental audits
- Experience writing Storm Water Management Plans for MEDEP / MS4 community
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Safety and environmental inspections in accordance to OSHA and USEPA regulations
- Manage hazardous waste in accordance to USEPA/MEDEP protocols and ensuring detailed documentation;
- Spill prevention control and countermeasures (SPCC) compliance and plans in accordance with 40 CFR 112;
- Stormwater Infrastructure (conducting outfall inspections, knowledge of storm drain mapping)
- Emergency Procedures and Community Right-To-Know Act (EPCRA) including Tier-II reports and SDSs;
- Environmental Management System (EMS) oversight/upkeep
- Training certification and create/deliver training presentations for hazard communication (HAZCOM), bloodborne pathogens (BBPs),ergonomics, lab safety, and pollution prevention
- Ergonomic work station evaluations
- Previous experience working with regulatory agencies and staff such as USEPA, OSHA, Maine Department of Environmental Protection (MEDEP), Maine SafetyWorks!, and the Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DH&HS).
- Experienced in the selection and recommendation of work practices, and personal protective equipment.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Review of applications will begin October 27th, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and a list of three professional references to HR@smccME.edu or mail to:
Southern Maine Community College
2 Fort Road
South Portland, ME 04106
Attention: Denise Reny, HR & Benefits Manager
SMCC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer & Educational Institution