Homeless Financial Program Officer
MaineHousing | Augusta, ME
Primary Purpose of Position: The Financial Officer for the Homeless Initiatives Department will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day functions of program and financial operations including grants financial management services, monitoring, general accounting, collection and reporting of financial data of all aspects of various state and federal homeless initiative programs. The position works closely with the department Manager to execute MH’s strategic plan to assist Maine people in obtaining and maintaining quality affordable housing and services suitable to their housing needs.
Education /Experience: A bachelor’s degree and two years experience in administering government-funded programs, or a combination of six years of equivalent experience, training and education preferred.
- Manage the annual budget for each grant and the payment process for all invoices, which includes allocating to the correct grant(s).
- Track income and expenditures for each grant, coordinating with and advising Finance when/how to draw down state & Federal funds.
- Calculate shelter and program payments based upon established funding methodology and resource allocations.
- Manage Homeless Initiative department program allocations based upon approved funding methodologies and resource allocations.
- Ensure disbursement of quarterly payments to providers, monthly payments to landlords and yearly IRS 1099 requirements.
- Track and ensure funding allocations for all programs are within budget (working with Finance, Elite, IDIS and AOD), including Federal financial reporting (425 Report).
- Create provider budgets, invoices and track to ensure funding allocations of sub-grantees are within approved budgets.
- Compile all financial reports for federal and state funding, including department reports for program evaluation and resource allocation process.
- Coordinate and submit match requirement data to HUD & DHHS.
Program Administration, Monitoring, Communication & Outreach
- Conduct monitoring reviews of homeless providers consistent with various federal and state program requirements, including shelter desk audits.
- Monitoring reviews include pre-audit tasks, data review, onsite and teleconferencing, written reports and follow-up as needed.
- Provides ongoing outreach, technical assistance and coaching for providers to maintain support and understanding of programs.
- Develop and provide periodic and annual financial and monitoring trainings for providers.
- Reconcile and audit quarterly invoices for shelter payments.
- As assigned
Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong project management, time management, and organizational skills
- Strong PC skills using various software (spreadsheet, word processing, database)
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with business partners
- Experience communicating effectively in front of groups
- Excellent communication skills – oral, written, listening
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and utilize creative and analytical skills to resolve issues
The starting hourly rate for this position is $18.5177, plus a comprehensive benefits package.