Histotechnologist II - Sign On Bonus
The Employer has temporarily removed this posting
NorDx is seeking a Histotechnologist II in Scarborough. The Histotechnologist II prepares slides of human tissue for microscopic examination by embedding and cutting tissues, mounting them on slides, and staining them with special dyes to make the details visible under the microscope. This position performs basic preventive maintenance on equipment, uses laboratory computer systems to obtain relevant patient information and input data, recognizes problems, identifies causes (technical, instrument or physiological), synthesizes alternatives and determines solutions. S/he evaluates and modifies or develops histology procedures, interacts with NorDx staff and clients providing assistance and information as appropriate, and performs the essential duties and responsibilities of a histology technician as needed. This position accessions, labels cassettes and results blocks. S/he may perform limited Immunohistochemistry duties that could include preparing slides and antibodies for loading on IHC stainers. The Histotechnologist II removes completed IHC slides and completes the process thru to distribution of cases. This position may rotate to cover frozen sectioning duties at Plastic and Hand, MMC or other facilities as needed.
This position has a weekend and holiday call rotation. Weekend coverage is possible. The Histotechnologist II performs the same duties listed below under the direct supervision of a Histotechnician or Histotechnologist, or the clinical education supervisor for the OJT program.
- Knowledge of histology laboratory functions, practices and procedures acquired through a Baccalaureate degree in Histotechnology or an equivalent science and appropriate histologic technical training.
- Certification as a Histotechnologist by a recognized professional organization (e.g., ASCP). Must meet CLIA "88" requirements for complex testing.
- Proficiency in slide distribution, equipment maintenance, filing, discarding of blocks, recycling and send-out procedures.
- Competency in Immunoflourescence Staining and Chemical disposal.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to learn and work efficiently with a variety of laboratory computer systems.
- Must be able to work any shift, holiday and/or weekend as needed.
- Must be able to travel among company sites as needed.
- Must be able to work independently and complete required duties of the shift.
About NorDx Laboratories
An integral part of MaineHealth, NorDx is the largest regional laboratory in the state and Maine's premier clinical laboratory. Our quality-driven, customer focused team provides a full range of laboratory services to hospitals, networks, physician offices, post-acute and long-term care providers, managed care organizations and employer groups throughout the region. Our full-service laboratory and home office is located in Scarborough, Maine. However, we provide full laboratory services to all MaineHealth facilities across the state, as well as over 25 patient service centers throughout Maine and southern New Hampshire. The NorDx family includes more than 700 professionals in phlebotomy, lab assisting, medical technology and administration.
MaineHealth values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Federal and state laws prohibit discrimination in employment because of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.
Job Code: 112091
Posted On: 2018-08-12 19:06:01
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Categories: Information Technology, Healthcare
Job Type: Regular
Job Status: Full Time
Additional Contact Info