Human Resources Partner (Portland, ME)
University of Maine System (State Wide) | Portland, ME
Are you an HR Generalist who has demonstrated experience and interest in employee relations, learning & organizational development and employee coaching – but also appreciates the operational, analytical and administrative aspects of supporting your client group? Then this opportunity may be of interest to you!
We are pleased to invite qualified applicants to forward their credentials for consideration for the position of HR Partner. The successful candidate will be someone who is both able to work independently and part of a high functioning and focused team. This position reports to the Vice President of Human Resources and supports our Academic Affairs departments under the auspices of our Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs https://usm.maine.edu/provost/overview. As part of a team, this position identifies solutions that support relevant goals and provides HR generalist support to employees who are wholly dedicated to creating opportunities that foster learning, achievement and success on our three USM campuses. The HRP provides reliable direction and counsel on HR related issues and/or services while ensuring consistency and compliance with policies and regulatory requirements.
This position serves the USM campuses and our USM community lives the service promise Student Focused Every Day and we are looking for colleagues who understand that promise and support our values: Respect & Care, Integrity, Equity and Responsiveness. This office is located on the Portland campus and serves three unique and diverse campuses – Portland, Gorham and Lewiston/Auburn. Our team collaborates regularly with our UMS System-Wide colleagues and Centers – a collective team of HR professionals serving our students and our State.
Our University community is committed to building a culturally diverse team of leaders, faculty and staff. We strongly encourage applications from minority candidates.
About the University:
Established in 1968, the University of Maine System is the state’s largest educational enterprise. It has an annual enrollment of nearly 30,000 students and positively impacts the lives of hundreds of thousands of Mainers each year through its educational and cultural offerings as well as outreach and public service to individuals, businesses, organizations and policymakers. The System has an estimated $1.5 billion total statewideeconomy impact each year, a return of $7.50 for every dollar of State appropriation. Two-thirds of its alumni—approximately 120,000 people—live in Maine. The University of Maine System is accessible with seven universities—some with multiple campuses—located across the state, as well as a law school, an additional 31 course sites, and Cooperative Extension. The University of Maine System Chancellor’s office is located in Estabrooke Hall on the University of Maine campus in Orono. System-wide services andgovernance employees work from campuses across the state.
The University of Southern Maine:
USM’s three environmentally friendly campuses are unique, yet all share the extensive resources of the university — and all are energized through strong community partnerships. Offering easy access to Boston, plus the ocean, mountains and forests of coastal, inland and northern Maine, USM is at the heart of Maine's most exciting metropolitan region. Our Employment webpage has additional information to help you become more familiar with our community in the greater southern Maine area https://usm.maine.edu/employment
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent combination education/experience) with demonstrated experience in human resources
- More than 3 years of strategic HR experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic HR in context of policy, process, organizational culture, laws/regulations, collective bargaining agreements and practical realities
- Ability to communicate effectively with external and internal contacts, including presentation and facilitation skills
- Good judgment, diplomacy and perceptual objectivity to effectively and appropriately make decisions. Aptitude to define problems, identify trends, collect data and establish facts to draw valid conclusions
- Experience leveraging a wide array of technologies
- SHRM-CP or SCP certification (and/or PHR or SPHR)
- Master’s Degree
- Demonstrated experience and emphasis on diversity initiatives
- HR experience in a higher education setting
Annual Salary: $55,000 - $61,000 (non-negotiable).
Benefits beyond Insurance:
- Employees enjoy a comprehensive benefit package that features competitive coverages spanning health care, vision, and dental as well as group life, short-term and long-term disability. A retirement plan administered by TIAA where both the employee and the employer contribute 4% of the employee’s annual salary.
- Generous 100% tuition waivers are available to our employees, and their dependents are eligible for a 50% tuition waiver.
- Recognizing a Work/Life Balance
- The University of Maine System has recently reinvested in its Wellness Program to support our employees and their families. Attractive incentives are tied to completion of such activities as preventive care visits with physicians and both in-person and telephonic coaching programs resulting in reduced premiums and modest cash awards.
- In addition, through Cigna, the System’s health care partner, Employee Assistance Program options are available to each and every member of the USM community.
- Annual leave and sick time are accrued at a very reasonable rate resulting in opportunities to achieve a positive and healthy work/life balance.
Materials must be submitted via "Apply For Position" below by February 24, 2019. You will need to create a profile and application (which includes contact information for 3 references); upload:
1.) a cover letter which describes your experience, interests, and suitability for the position
2.) a resume/curriculum vitae
You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status forms. Incomplete application materials cannot be considered. Materials received after the initial review date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University.
The successful applicant is subject to appropriate background screening.
The University of Maine System is an EEO/AA employer, and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Sarah E. Harebo, Director of Equal Opportunity, Bedford St. 120, Portland, ME 04103, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).