LIHEAP Program Assistant
MaineHousing | Augusta, ME
Primary Purpose of Position: The Program Assistant provides administrative and technical support specific to the LIHEAP program. Responsibilities include: processing benefit returns, handling vendor contracts and set-up, primary contact for client inquiries, and various administrative functions related to the LIHEAP program.
Education /Experience: Associates Degree and a minimum of 4 years of responsible experience in administrative support or a combination of education and experience preferred.
Certifications / Licenses: A valid driver's license or the ability to reach off-site meetings as needed.
- Processes benefit returns.
- Processes and logs “LIHEAP Benefit Return Form” received from Community Action Agency (CAA).
- Deposits checks electronically and processes paperwork.
- Verifies servicing CAA and program year of the benefit return.
- Matches up “LIHEAP Benefit Request” form with benefit return.
- Updates tracking sheets and journal.
- Monitors outstanding benefit returns to facilitate the reissue of clients’ benefits.
- Contacts vendors about past due benefit return funds.
- Notifies CAAs of missing “LIHEAP Benefit Return” forms.
- Provides weekly status report to manager.
- Processes fuel and wood vendor contracts.
- Answers vendor inquiries about program participation.
- Mails contract packets to prospective vendors.
- Prepares, mails, and tracks receipt of contracts/amendments.
- Sets up/maintains vendor information in MERAC Management (i.e. address, ID number, banking info). Notifies finance of vendor ID number changes.
- Updates website and participating vendor list, and sends notification to CAAs
- Assists with the annual consumption report process.
- Tracks, logs, and reviews incoming (vendor) reports.
- Coordinates data entry in MERAC.
- Contacts vendors about discrepancies and past due reports.
- First line of response to inquiries from partners and public.
- Provides basic program information and policy clarification to partners and clients via telephone, email, and fax. Refers complex situations to Program Officer.
- Responds to website inquiries. Refers complex situations to Program Officer.
- Develops tracking mechanism to assure timely responses.
- Assists with program communications, including correspondence and meetings.
- Provides administrative support for LIHEAP program
- Assists with tracking program timelines and deadlines.
- Prepares, files, and maintains program records.
- Collects, organizes and enters program data; compiles information as assigned.
- Prepares mailing and tracks return receipt of CAA program contracts, work-plans, and budgets.
- Mails direct benefit checks and vendor vouchers.
- Distributes LIHEAP State Plan to interested parities and makes arrangements for advertising.
- Participates in department and team meetings to identify and implement process improvements
- Attends meetings, performs research, and collects data for assigned tasks.
- Takes minutes for LIHEAP related meetings.
- Forwards faxes to appropriate EHS staff (faxes are received electronically through the EHS Program Ops – Outlook mailbox).
- Provides administrative support to other programs as needed.
- Provides coverage during Program Officer’s absence.
- Serves as backup for the distribution of daily mail for department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Demonstrated high-degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with business partners
- Excellent telephone skills.
- Strong project management skills, time management, and organizational skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong PC skills using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to think and act independently and take initiative when needed.
- Ability to develop new ideas and communicate them clearly to management.
- Ability to multi-task, and work with minimal oversight.
The starting hourly rate is $15.6850