Nichols Portland, LLC | Statewide, ME
Provides technical direction to manufacturing to facilitate the efficient fabrication of high-quality products.
- Implement machine design, construction, and upgrade projects as requested by Management.
- Identify equipment needs, research and select vendors, request capital, and complete documents required for purchase.
- Develop, investigate, test, document, and train employees on equipment standard work.
- Troubleshoot equipment and process problems, assist with maintenance.
- Coordinate tooling/fixturing: quantities, repairs, and tool room prioritization.
- Create, maintain, and distribute operating and production standards.
- Communicate with internal and external customers.
- Develop and implement continuous improvement and cost reduction proposals.
- Promote adherence to safety standards, identify and eliminate job hazards.
- Track production runs, refine processes as necessary.
- Document manufacturing procedures to be utilized in training programs.
- Identify knowledge deficiencies and support training as needed.
- Participate in cross-functional or special project teams.
- Perform all other incidental and related duties as required and assigned
Education and Experience
- B.S. degree in an engineering field
- 2 years of relevant experience (in a manufacturing environment) preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and Inventor required
- Strong mechanical aptitude; desire to work in a “hands-on” environment
- Ability to learn quickly; open to new ideas
- Strong troubleshooting skills; ability to recognize feasibility of designs
- Ability to interpret blueprints; operate precision measuring instruments
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) and SPC
- Design of experiments (DOE) knowledge helpful
- Basic computer skills: word processing, spreadsheets
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (including technical writing); ability to listen, provide feedback and motivate others
- Ability to work effectively in a team or individual environment
- Effective interaction with employees at all levels of organization
- Demonstrate independent initiative
- Receptive and supportive of change
Job related demands (i.e. physical, travel):
- Occasional travel for meetings or training (4-5 times per year)
- Flexibility to alter work schedule for timely completion of projects
- Prioritization of multiple projects to meet operational goals
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential issues with tact and diplomacy
- Maintenance of professional knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and/or participating in professional associations
- Ability to lift and move objects up to 35 lbs. without assistance and occasionally up to 50 lbs following company safe lifting protocol
- Ability to stand and/or sit for long periods of time
- Ability to work in an environment with powdered metal, dust, noise, oils and chemicals