Corning | Kennebunk, ME
Requisition Number: 36681
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning's Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position:
In this role, you will provide technical support and solving problems for plant operations by applying sound engineering principles to solve complex machine challenges. You will perform as the subject matter guide and spearhead engineering responsibility for automation and robotic equipment of multiple manufacturing lines. We look for you to identify areas of opportunity of manufacturing equipment for continuous improvement in the areas of overall equipment effectiveness OOE and cost reduction.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Learn department's state of the art knowledge and capability in commercially available machine / motion control systems, system integration, part sensing, and robotics technologies.
- Work with the plant's quality management systems (QMS) to qualify and validate new equipment and products for manufacturing readiness.
- Determine maintenance standard methodologies and implement procedures to keep automation equipment running in optimum performance.
- Develop strategies and implement methods and procedures to improve flexibility of automation to handle multiple products.
- Design auxiliary equipment associated with automation or robotics to improve upon the current state and increase the flexibility of the equipment to handle multiple product formats.
- Develop and support robot programming as required to meet manufacturing needs.
- Ability to perform elementary design calculations; i.e., motor speed/torque, I/O and memory sizing, area of control/sensitivity of proximity and photo equipment, etc.
- Works closely with division engineering and project teams to provide guidance for design requirements, receive equipment, scale up, and validate for manufacturing of new automation and robotic technologies.
- Uses the risk assessment process to document and design safety systems that are in compliance with ANSI R15.06-1999 or ANSI TR3 and process requirements.
- Reviewer of electrical / robot integration drawing packages including both complete electrical controls systems and control sub-sections for conformance to Corning standards.
- Individual should be capable of executing project assignments, in a team based environment, with minimal supervision.
- Minimal amount of travel time required <10>
- Travel usually pertains to vendor visits for checkout of new equipment.
- Full time position, normal business hours 8:00 AM -5:00 PM M-F, work week could exceed 40 hours.
- Expected to work hours required to meet manufacturing requirements or off hour support if necessary.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
- Masters Engineering degree preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of automation engineering or automation project experience within a manufacturing plant required.
- Familiar with state of the art technologies in the following areas: control systems integration, controls architectures, PLC's, motion control systems, electro-mechanical drive systems, robotics, part sensing, vision, risk assessment, and safety systems.
- Demonstrate high level of technical curiosity that will enable unique solutions to the technical challenges incumbent in the position.
- Ability and interest to learn, and apply, new technologies in support of overall technical objectives.
- Strong fundamental understanding of electrical design practices, machine / motion control systems, electro-mechanical systems, robotics, programming, and system integration.
- Demonstrated skills in control systems design, programming, and systems integration with a strong understanding of open loop and closed loop control systems.
- Experience designing, developing and delivering fully integrated machine and motion control, automation, and process machine systems to manufacturing.
- Able to effectively use external machine builders and system integrators for detail design, build, and integration of later stages of system implementation.
- Ability to work in a team based environment and participate on a highly matrixed team.
- Possesses an understanding of general mechanics and be able to apply it in troubleshooting and system design.
- Allen Bradley and Mitsubishi machine and motion control experience (most current products desired).
- Control system (PLC, motion control, safety devices, high level languages) and robotic programming skills (FANUC, Adept, etc.).
- Knowledge of glass and ceramic manufacturing.
- Ambitious (be able to concept and design a system never before demonstrated).
- Forward-looking (knows what the big picture is and be able to project this view).
- Knowledgeable in applicable national and international electrical and robotic design and safety codes.
- 2D and 3D software design tools (AutoCAD, SolidWorks).
- Ability to work on a diverse engineering team.
- Ability to effectively deal with high levels of uncertainty, ambiguity, and change.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who is able to exceed their objectives and timelines with a minimal amount of supervision.
- Sound problem solving and decision-making processes and skills and tenacious troubleshooting skills with technical curiosity.
- Highly motivated, results oriented, customer focused, with a high commitment level.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Nearest Major Market: Portland Maine