Multi-Family Building Analyst
MaineHousing | Augusta, ME
Primary Purpose of Position: The Multi-Family Building Analyst will ensure the viability of projects within the portfolio by performing comprehensive property inspections to ensure proper on-going maintenance of projects and assessing them for any needed repairs, safety upgrades or capital improvements; providing technical assistance to multifamily projects in need of rehabilitation; and inspecting properties to HUD standards for projects in which MaineHousing has contract administration responsibilities.
Education /Experience: A Degree in Building Science, Architectural, Engineering or related field and/or four years of construction experience is preferred.
Certifications / Licenses: A valid driver’s license or the ability to reach off-site meetings as needed. Certification in Uniform Physical Condition Standards (UPCS) required or ability to become certified within one year of hire. Maine Uniform Building & Energy Code (MUBEC), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Housing Quality Standards (HQS) and ADA Standards for Accessible Design and/or Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards (UFAS) training/certifications desirable.
- Perform comprehensive inspections on MH financed multifamily properties and contracted HUD funded properties to include the following tasks:
- Confirm pre-scheduled appointment prior to inspection
- Perform inspection of the building envelope, site, common areas and dwelling units to applicable standards
- Photograph any identified violations for proper documentation of issue
- Prepare written report documenting the inspection and any noted violations for the Asset Manager in a timely manner
- Perform follow up inspection, if applicable
- Maintain a professional presence during the inspection process when in contact with residents and property staff.
- Review of plans, specifications, and cost estimates for new construction or rehabilitation undertaken by projects within the current portfolio
- Work closely with the owners, managers, contractors, and design professionals to ensure plans and specs meet MH standards and all applicable codes
- Review cost estimates for reasonableness and ensure incurred costs are within budget
- Conduct initial site visit to confirm project is feasible and scope of work is appropriate
- Review and interpret technical data and reports and respond as appropriate to safeguard the interest of MH and our partners/customers
- Contract Administration And Rehabilitation Escrow Management
- Review contracts, permits, performance guarantees, etc. to safeguard the interests of MH, our partners and customers
- Visit job sites as necessary to ensure work complies with approved plans and specs
- Approve requisitions and change orders
- Review Rehabilitation Loan Closing checklist items and sign off on completed project
- Provide technical assistance to internal and external partners
- Work closely with Asset Managers acting as a technical resource to the department
- Work closely with owners/managers as requested when seeking assistance/advice on capital needs/improvements
Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge of building codes, construction management and various inspection protocols
- Strong project management, time management, and organizational skills
- Strong PC skills using various software (spreadsheet, word processing, database)
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with business partners
- Excellent communication skills – oral, written, listening
- Ability to take initiative , work independently, and utilize creative and analytical skills to resolve issues
Working Conditions: Job involves a five day work week which includes both professional office work and extensive field work (Estimated 20% office/80% fieldwork). Statewide travel is routine with occasional overnights required. MaineHousing office hours are Monday – Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm but this position may require occasional hours outside this schedule. Physical ability to conduct inspections while moving through unfinished construction site is essential and crawling and climbing is sometimes required.
The starting hourly rate for this position is $18.5177, includes a company vehicle and a comprehensive benefits package.