Operational Excellence Lead
Abbott (formerly Alere Scarborough) | Scarborough, ME
Abbott Rapid Diagnostics is part of Abbott’s Diagnostics family of businesses, bringing together exceptional teams of experts and industry leading technologies to support diagnostic testing which provides important information for treatment and management of diseases and other conditions.
The position of Operational Excellence Lead within our Infectious Disease Developed Markets. This role will implement and assist through value stream mapping, strategy deployment, kaizen activities, service process excellence, and other tools to ensure our business operates toward the Abbott Operational Excellence (OPEX) Strategic Goals and Initiatives. In coordination with the Site Senior Staff, the Operational Excellence Lead is responsible for process improvement activities, achieving results based on strategy development by reviewing operations, observing, planning, coordinating, and facilitating process improvement, and Kaizen teams. The Operational Excellence Lead will own the creation of the Opex roadmap, workstreams, and maintenance; be the liaison of the site with the OPEX Divisional Community of Practice (COP) and may be the Operational Excellence lead of the site. The Operational Excellence Lead will create a strategic transformation plan, overseeing the execution of improvement efforts through the Opex annual assessment. This role will develop and deploy a continuous process improvement plan for the operations and business team focused on training and project execution.
This job description will be reviewed periodically and is subject to change by management.
- Develops and sustain the lean transformation plan and/or operational excellence roadmap/workstreams including value stream maps to identify key opportunities to eliminate waste and improve performance based on strategy deployment and business results.
- Identifies opportunities to implement common processes & best demonstrated practices from other sites and businesses; disseminates and acts upon relevant industry and corporate benchmarking data.
- Provides leadership, coaching, and training in lean thinking and lean production, variation reduction, problem-solving & avoidance, and people/team strategies. Supports and drives compliance with corporate lean standards.
- Constantly reviews processes to eliminate waste in manufacturing, lab, and business process areas.
- Creates strategic Lean transformation plan and drives preparation and execution of improvement efforts throughout the facility.
- Engages the organization to adapt or maintain a lean continuous improvement culture.
- Tracks progress of Lean Coordinators on their plant specific lean plans and empowers team members to implement solutions.
- Coordinates all Lean Manufacturing Activities within the location including kaizen activities, projects, and any other activity to improve and further lean efforts and ensure execution of transformation plan.
- Assures open communications and involvement of employees who work in the Lean process.
- Prioritizes improvement opportunities based upon Strategy Deployment and tactical planning objectives such as safety, growth, service, quality, cost, and cash.
- Provides lean training and coaching for site employees based on needs and requirements.
- Shares “best practice” methods and ideas with lean colleagues.
- Required Travel 15-25% to assist BU Opex requirements, COP assistance, and other Abbott site Lean Continuous Improvement activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering related discipline, Industrial Engineering preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5-7 years’ experience in deploying Lean Manufacturing/Kaizen Promotion Office
- Lean Manufacturing experience such as Kaizen, 5s Factory, Standardized Work, Gemba, and Kanban.
- Knowledge of federal and other regulations, e.g. QSR’s, ISO, ISO 13485, CMDR.
- Experience in an ISO or FDA regulated industry.
- Good working knowledge of management principles learned through experience and/or specific training or substantial understanding of scientific principles to interpret, modify or develop standards
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Thorough knowledge of Lean principles such as Value Stream Mapping, Just-In-Time, Demand Flow, Single Piece Flow, Five S’s, Visual Management, Total Productive Maintenance, Continuous Improvement Process, Kaizen, SPC, Six Sigma and Communication Tools, Statistical Problem Solving and QS9000.
- Ability to promote joint action, cooperation and communication to achieve results between functions for broader and more complex operation or management issues and activities.
- Ability to direct and lead group interactions through coaching, training, and auditing.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong knowledge of business systems and manufacturing processes
- Ability to identify problems; apply a structured and disciplined methodology to identify root cause using data.