Planner/ Scheduler 1st Shift
Nichols Portland, LLC | Portland, ME
Ensures performance to the master production schedule to achieve division objectives for customer service, inventory levels, and configuration management. Plans, prepares, issues, and controls basic production schedules and material requirements to ensure a controlled flow of approved materials timed to meet production requirements.
Scope/Supervision and Interaction:
At the discretion of the division this position may include supervisory responsibility.
- Identifies common raw material and component requirements for production from engineering and production specifications.
- Ensures accurate item master schedules and bill of materials.
- Advises management of the status of work in progress, material availability, and potential production problems to ensure that personnel, equipment, materials, and services are provided as needed.
- Confirms materials supply is available to meet demand. Prepares work orders or purchase requests for the production or purchase of components or parts to support master production schedule, shop load, and inventory requirements.
- Coordinates material movements between internal work and storage areas and/or outside processing or suppliers to ensure materials are available when needed.
- Schedules and expedites the movement of parts by means of move orders and/or stock transfers to meet customer shipping dates.
- Projects hardware availability for assembly build schedule update and development of monthly sales plan objectives.
- Analyzes inventory usage, scrap, and waste, and identifies and quantifies potential problems and causes that would impact the ability to achieve inventory level objectives.
- Advises and assists management in resolving problems concerning over shipments, shortages, engineering changes, and cancellation of orders.
- Monitors component shortage status. May prepare detailed layouts of component shortage requirements on assigned programs over three-month horizon.
- Maintains configuration control on all open orders and appropriate data files as required by division policies and procedures.
- Coordinates cross-functional activities with Quality Assurance, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Engineering, Inventory Control, Shipping/Receiving, and Contract Administration to ensure a smooth flow of materials through the production process and consistent information regarding status and priorities.
- Recommends changes to improve product or process efficiency and/or reduce cost using continuous improvement principles.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing technical and/or trade publications, establishing networks, and/or participating in professional associations.
- Complies with federal, state, and aerospace industry regulations; ensures adherence to requirements and advises management on needed actions. Complies with policies and procedures in Government/Commercial Practices Manual (GPM/CPM).
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed. Work assignments may include cross-functional or project team responsibilities (e.g. continuous improvement).
Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree in Business Administration or a related field; may be actively pursuing and is currently studying upper-division core curriculum courses.
- OR, has passed the CPIM national certification basics exam and is committed to achieving the CPIM national certification;
- OR, has completed a certification program in production and inventory control
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of manufacturing resources planning theories, principles, and industry practices.
- Proficient in standard business application software, manufacturing resource planning systems, and interface operations.
- Ability to effectively apply continuous improvement methods to the planning function (e.g. pull systems, process mapping,
- JIT) and related areas.
- Knowledge of legal, regulatory and internal policy requirements related to production control.
- Ability to work on a variety of problems of moderate scope and complexity where analysis of the situation or data requires thorough identification of factors and analysis of impact.
- Ability to work within general work objectives regarding projects and team goals.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports and policies and recommend changes to procedures.
- Ability to effectively communicate and present information to team members, team leaders, and top management.
- Ability to respond to significant inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to effectively demonstrate team member competencies and participate in goal-setting, performance feedback, and self-development activities
Job related demands (i.e. physical, travel):
- Occasional travel for meetings or training (4-5 times per year)
- Flexibility to alter work schedule for timely completion of projects
- Prioritization of multiple projects to meet operational goals
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential issues with tact and diplomacy
- Maintenance of professional knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and/or participating in professional associations
- Ability to lift and move objects up to 35 lbs. without assistance and occasionally up to 50 lbs following company safe lifting protocol
- Ability to stand and/or sit for long periods of time
- Ability to work in an environment with powdered metal, dust, noise, oils and chemicals