Polymer R&D Engineer
Compounding Solutions | Lewiston, ME
Compounding Solutions, a specialty compounder servicing the medical device industry, is looking to fill the position of R&D Polymer Engineer in our R & D Department. This individual will help with formulation, development, plastics testing, color matching & processing of different plastic materials.
Other Duties & Responsibilities of the Position will include, but not limited to:
- Assist the R&D department in formulation development by producing small scale trial batches & performing related lab tests
- Operation of lab equipment and analysis/documentation of test results
- Testing of products being developed includes but is not limited to: spectroscopy, FTIR analysis, physical properties (tensile, flex, tear), density, melt flow index, rheometry, impact resistance, abrasion resistance, coefficient of friction, ash content, hardness, etc.
- Persistent work ethic and interest in projects to the point where the employee stays involved with multiple projects at a time and follows each task through to completion
- Organizing collected data so it can be easily reviewed and so that it contains all the necessary information
- Attention to detail will be important to ensure that all specifications are met for a particular product
- An understanding of Polymer synthesis and Polymer types to make formulation decisions when melt blending polymers.
- Familiarity with plastic processing equipment (i.e. twin screw extruders, compression molding, injection molding & two roll mill)
- Familiarity with ASTM, ISO, GE, and GB standards for plastics
- Perform Tests, analyze and provide quality control for the performance of Polymers
The ideal candidate should have a Chemical, Plastics, or a Material Science Engineering Degree. Plastics experience is a plus, 5 to 10 years experience in the field is preferred.
Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(K)
Life, STD & LTD Insurance (100% Company paid)
Based on Experience