Senior Product Development Scientist
Abbott | Scarborough, ME
DO WORK THAT MATTERS.
At Abbott, diverse ideas, perspectives, and expertise allow us to create life-changing solutions that help people live healthier lives. In 150 countries and with businesses spanning nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices, and branded generic pharmaceuticals, Abbott offers you enormous opportunities to explore your interests and help you achieve your career and personal goals.
Abbott Rapid Diagnostics (formerly Alere) is part of Abbott’s Diagnostics family of businesses, bringing together exceptional teams of experts and industry-leading technologies. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scientist, (Product Development) - Lateral Flow within our Infectious Disease Developed Markets business unit located at Scarborough, ME. In this role, you will serve as a Technical Lead who owns the design and development of new single-use In-Vitro Diagnostic (IVD) tests from Feasibility to Commercialization.
The Senior Product Development Scientist, plays the role of product development lead and/or technical specialist who oversees lateral flow product development from feasibility through launch. The incumbent plays a critical role in the successful commercialization of products.
Essential Priorities and Responsibilities include the following: Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for leading management of lateral flow development teams.
- Lead by example, provides leadership within the Infectious Diseases business unit, including but not limited to product development planning and execution, quality and regulatory compliance, technical support and issue resolution, improving process efficiency, application of DOE, process control, and statistical tools.
- Performs daily technical team guidance which includes but not limited to product development projects, design change/change control, design review, product investigation, DHF remediation, product and knowledge transfer from R&D to manufacturing, etc.
- Advanced degree in a scientific discipline; Ph.D. preferred
- Minimum of 6 years of direct product development and successful product commercialization experience. At least 5 years of relevant experience in the IVD/ Medical Device field.
- Successful transfer and commercialization of on-market product(s)
The Senior Scientist will have experience in product development from early feasibility through successful transfer and product launch; will have a strong working knowledge of design controls, development, commercialization and sustaining of medical diagnostic products; will have strong communication, problem-solving skills and mentoring/leading development teams at the bench.
The successful candidate will have the following critical skills and competencies:
- Drive for Results: The candidate is energized by challenges and the opportunity to deliver. Using relevant business metrics demonstrates technical leadership, resolves issues, seeks continuous process improvement, and achieves business goals.
- Leadership: The candidate will lead multiple projects and work with cross-functional teams. Must have leadership skills to create a strong, highly engaged and productive team. The candidate must demonstrate strong problem-solving and communication skills, able to work in a matrix environment balancing a business priority and accomplishing business goals. This role requires strong technical expertise in lateral flow, assay development, manufacturing transfer, and process control.
- Strategic Thinking: The candidate will layout clear implementation pathways that align Technical development activities to the priority of the Business Unit. Works effectively with functional leads to align timeline commitments among project and cross-functional team such that agreed on objectives and timings for completion of activities are achieved. Timely communicates, is quick to shift priority and adjust plan in order to drive for results under changing circumstances.