Software Application Specialist
MaineHousing | Augusta, ME
Primary Purpose of Position: The primary focus of the EHS Application Specialist is to maintain, support and provide technical assistance for the application systems and data sets used in the Energy and Housing Services (EHS) department. This position will be the point of contact with external software vendors, MaineHousing’s Information Technology department and Community Action Agency personnel that utilize these systems. This position will assist program managers and staff in effectively utilizing the data technology in the department. The position requires a highly organized and detail-oriented person with strong analytical, computer and customer service skills while maintaining strict adherence to confidentiality.
Education /Experience: Bachelor’s degree and four years of relevant work experience or a combination of eight years of education, training, experience preferred. Strong working knowledge of SQL for querying databases to test and validate data and logic being implemented desired.
- Maintain and support reporting systems and applications, including data sets associated with the following EHS programs:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- DOE Weatherization Program
- Home Repair Program
- Lead Hazard Control Program
- Arsenic Remediation Program
- Participate in current efforts to upgrade and replace existing application systems.
- Perform routine database maintenance tasks such as: auditing, cleaning up duplicate records, logfile management, importing/exporting of raw data.
- Using SQL, design, develop and maintain reports to ensure timely and accurate reporting of key performance indicators (e.g. grant/contract goals).
- Support the department by providing data analysis and raising concerns as they relate to data quality, integrity and compliance
- Support database integrity tasks, auditing and cleaning up duplicate records, etc.
- Manage a variety of operational processes, by coordinating, importing and updating records, documenting processes, monitoring data entry and trends, and analyzing inefficiencies.
- Assist with maintenance of internal and external program management systems, tools, etc.; serve as administrator and “super user” of systems.
- Act as a liaison with IT department to report and resolve network issues and to coordinate activities requiring IT support or approval.
- Continually strive to improve efficiency and accuracy of EHS’s data and processes.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience and working knowledge of SQL, SQL Server Reporting Services, Crystal Reports and Microsoft applications (including Word, Excel and Access) with strong emphasis on SQL
- Ability to define, document and validate business and technical requirements
- Support Microsoft Access based applications against Access database and SQL Server sources
- Strong understanding of relational database concepts, standards and generally accepted practices
- Ability to perform detailed analysis of complex business processes and requirements and proposes solutions
- Strong project management, time management, and organizational skills
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with business partners
- Strong analysis skills; ability to contribute to interpreting and summarizing data, including by contributing to and formatting reports; provide actionable insights and creative problem solving techniques.
- Proactive, resourceful and persistent; seeks solutions and takes initiative and focuses on delivering outcomes despite obstacles
- Demonstrated supportive, collaborative and problem-solving attitude, continuously looks for ways to reduce the data entry burden on internal and external partners.
- Experience with handling data – including data collection, management, cleaning, and analysis – to facilitate decision making, ensuring accuracy of the data but also presenting the data to highlight findings.
The starting hourly rate for this position is $21.6346, plus a comprehensive benefits package.