Sr. Tooling Engineer
Corning | Kennebunk, ME
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning's Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position:
Provides tooling support for Division-wide or multi-plant injection molding projects. Maintains knowledge and finds opportunities for new manufacturing technology to support mission of the highest quality and lowest manufacturing cost. Drives implementation of Division Engineering Tooling Strategy. Champions continuous improvement activities, including new technology implementation and fundamental process understanding, in support of cost reduction and quality improvement. Ensures Corning's Intellectual Property management process is followed and any intellectual property developed as part of a project is properly documented.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Supports and provides guidance to the Division Technology roadmap (including maintaining a knowledgebase of the latest technology advances within injection molding). Drives implementation of new manufacturing technology.
- Division injection molding SME including focused areas of material, processes, tooling and/or process equipment.
- Provides tooling support to manufacturing plants as needed, including complete tooling life cycle management, rebuild projects, replacement programs, and total tool maintenance management of critical spares and components.
- Drives fundamental understanding and problem-solving skills.
- Develops tooling solutions for new product introductions.
- Leads the quotation, vendor selection, design and manufacturing processes of new tooling.
- Designs and assists with designs of new injection molds. Approves mold designs and handles tool drawings, ensuring they are current and meet Division and plant standards.
- Facilitates tooling design reviews and participates in product design reviews when applicable.
- Leads construction of new tooling - tracking to project metrics of cost and timing, reporting progress to project teams.
- Work with tooling vendors and process engineers in the debug and validation of new tooling.
- Ensures compliance to all plant and division standards.
- Prepares Appropriation Requisitions (AR's) and handles cost/spend with regards to new mold constructions and capital expenditure for tooling and injection molding equipment.
- Uses rigorous processes and technical knowledge to build detailed technical understanding for key process steps.
- Functions as a team member or team leader on focused projects.
- Provides support to Automation department and vendors during development of automation systems.
- Uses statistical tools and Design of Experiments (DOE) in process problem-solving and product/process improvement.
- Intellectual Property management
- Up to 40%, including International, average 1 week per month.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- You will typically work M-F, first shift, but we need your flexibility to support off hours as needed.
- High School diploma and completed Tooling Apprenticeship program and a minimum of 10+ years in an injection molding tooling engineering role.
- or Bachelors of Science degree in Engineering and minimum of 5+ years in an injection molding tooling engineering role.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Mold repair experience.
- Mold design experience.
- Hands on experience with high cavitation or high-performance tooling.
- CAD experience, preferably Solidworks.
- Track record of delivering results.
- Demonstrated knowledge in a technical field.
- Forward-thinking experience within the field of engineering.
Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
- Plastic product design experience.
- Scientific injection molding knowledge.
- Certified Green Belt or equivalent statistical knowledge.
- Project team leadership.
We value a positive teammate who is open and engaging to effectively collaborate in teams in a multi-cultural environment.
- Do you have strong verbal and written communication skills?
- Are you a self-starter with the technical curiosity to learn and bring new ideas?
- Does your flexibility and dedication to succeed support a positive can-do attitude?
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Nearest Major Market: Portland Maine