Sterile Supply Tech - Sterile Processing
Maine Medical Center | Portland, ME
- Position Summary
- Responsible for the preparation of standard and special instrument kits for the operating room as well as all nursing units and outside subsidiaries. Sorts, inspects, and assembles instruments for specific areas. Inspects all instruments for damage; tests special air power instruments and performs minor maintenance. Packages and wraps instruments for the operating room, nursing units and outside subsidiaries as well as pulmonary and anesthesia equipment and supplies for processing. May operate specialized sterilizing equipment. Responsible for established procedures and techniques. Must reach Sterile Supply tech II status between six (6) months and one (1) year after hire date by passing the appropriate competency exam(s).
- Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Ability to read, write and perform arithmetic calculations in order to complete records, charges and logs; basic knowledge of biology to understand infection control and medical terminology; and general educational development necessary to comprehend and implement complex procedures related to instrument sterilization and packaging at a level normally acquired through completion of a high school education.
- Knowledge of instrument decontamination, sterilization and packaging procedures; and ability to identify large variety of instruments and patient care equipment at a level normally acquired through twelve months on-the-job training.
- Manual dexterity necessary to grasp and handle a variety of small, delicate instruments and sound eye-hand coordination in order to adjust and assemble instruments and equipment.
- Physical abilities necessary to walk and stand almost constantly and to frequently lift and carry trays and supplies weighing up to twenty-five pounds.
- Communication skills necessary to work well with others and respond to requests from internal and external customers.