Supply Chain Manager
The Baker Company, Inc. | Sanford, ME
The Supply Chain Manager is responsible for the entire life cycle of our products. This position is responsible for maintaining customer satisfaction by providing problem-solving resources; managing staff. Responsible for creating and implementing purchasing, material planning, production scheduling and inventory control processes for manufactured and/or purchased parts, components, sub-assemblies and finished products. Ensure complete customer satisfaction by delivering the highest quality parts and products on their due date, at the lowest possible cost with optimal lead times and assuring compliance with customer requirements. This includes the management of all inventories (on order, in process and finished goods), an excellent understanding and management of MRP concepts, including JIT manufacturing principles, and a complete buyer understanding and adherence to trade organization and supplier standards. The Supply Chain Manager executes and monitors these broad responsibilities through the effective use of the company computerized business or ERP system.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Supply Chain Manager meets his/her job objectives as noted above by executing the following specific functions:
- Establishes and maintains a Master Production Schedule within the objectives of the Production Plan
- Establishes delivery lead time windows for each purchased and/or manufactured part, component and sub-assembly
- Management responsibilities for demand and capacity planning, production scheduling and execution, inventory, purchasing, and supplier service level management. Responsible for integrating production schedules with business planning and forecasting.
- Responsible for production order execution and working with operations to insure that our on time delivery, cycle time and fill rate goals are met.
- Ensures efficient work center loads, lead times and material availability to meet customer order requirements.
- Supplier Performance Management – responsible for working with site operations quality and global sourcing on supplier report cards to insure that plans of action are developed and implemented for improving poor performing suppliers.
- Explores new technologies and processes, to reduce non-value added procurement and planning activities.
- Participate in the coordination of engineering changes, product line extensions or new product launches to ensure orderly and timely transition in material or production flow.
- Maintains and continually reviews Manufacturing Capacity Plan to determine capacity requirements to assure the company meets shipment dates and customer demand.
- Establishes annual Materials Standards that are realistic, achievable, and that will ensure the competitiveness of the company while providing the highest quality products to Baker customers.
- Ensures compliance with EEO contractor purchasing requirements as well as upholding the company procurement ethics practices.
- Establishes annual budgets for the components of the Materials Department and performs within the limitations of those budgets.
- Establishes and maintains procedures and processes for the functions of the Materials Department that support the short term and long range company business objectives and requirements, as well as operating within The Baker Company Quality System.
- Develops ongoing departmental training programs (internal and external to the company) that encourage and promote employee growth and professional development.
- Review and evaluate the performance of direct reports and recommend wage adjustments in a timely manner. Ensures that all Supply Chain performance evaluations are completed in a timely manner.
- Manages all raw material inventories, in process and finished goods inventories, including stockroom purchased parts inventory.
- Oversees the Vendor base of purchased parts suppliers, administers Vendor Ratings as well as ensures that necessary Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are obtained from vendors and distributed to all affected employees.
- Manages and continually evaluates and develops the growth of the Materials group and provides a competent and adequate staff.
- Keeps current on market environment and supplier business conditions to ensure availability of high quality materials and purchased parts at competitive prices.
- Actively pursues and develops subcontracting or alternative materials purchasing standards or configuration opportunities which will eliminate or reduce Manufacturing requirements and costs, thereby improving the competitiveness of The Baker Company.
- Provide value to our customers by using and encouraging associates to use Lean tools and concepts to identify and eliminate waste in all forms (scrap/rework, transportation, motion, waiting, inventory, over production, over processing, and under-utilization of people). Uses systemic thinking by seeing processes from end to end and works to challenge the status quo to eliminate the root cause of problems. Is involved in individual and/or team activities that involve using Lean tools and concepts to improve the flow of information and material.
- The Supply Chain Manager has the responsibility of ensuring and adequate inventory supply of purchased and/or manufactured parts and components for an uninterrupted manufacturing process, while minimizing material cost by effectively managing all materials used in the operation of The Baker Company including the Custom Products Division, to meet customer requirements.
KEY PERFORMANCE METRICS
- Inventory Accuracy (G/L vs Actual, Cycle Counts)
- Inventory Turns – individual and total
- Conformance of purchased parts to specifications (vendor returns per nonconformance system data)
- Purchased/Manufactured Parts Shortage Impact ,Purchased Parts Order Shipping Performance
- Vendor delivery performance
- Available to Ship to Promise Date
- Pricing Performance
- Schedule Dollars to Forecast, Weld Hours
- Quoted Sales Order Lead Time
- YTD Throughput/Operating Expense Ratio vs Planned
- On time completion of all performance reviews in department
- Able to sit for extended periods of time working on computer
- BS Degree or Industrial Technology (4 yr) Degree, preferably in Materials Management or a related field (i.e. Business, Contracts, Production Planning)
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in the Materials field to include responsibilities in Production Planning, Inventory Control and Purchasing.
- Solid understanding (formal training and experience) in an ERP Manufacturing environment with Capacity Planning and Shop Floor Control, is required.
- Strong management experience
The Baker Company offers a competitive salary, 401(k), health/dental insurance, paid vacation, company paid life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, short term & long term disability insurances, and more.
The Baker Company is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment physical.