Surgical Technologist I - MMC OR - $3,000 SIGN-ON
Maine Medical Center | Portland, ME
The Employer has temporarily removed this posting$3,000 Sign-On Bonus
Full-time positions - 32+ hours/per week
Part-Time positions prorated - 20-31.9 hours/per week
Eligible candidates are Certified Surgical Technologists. New graduates and previous MMC and MaineHealth employees with more than 3 months of separation are eligible. Current MMC and MaineHealth employees are not eligible.
- Position Summary
- Performs first scrub role on core cases of assigned services. Directly assists the surgeon by passing sterile instruments and supplies at the sterile field. Demonstrates ability to anticipate surgeon's requests on core cases of assigned services, expediting the process of surgery and improving patient outcomes. Shares responsibility with the RN for countable items at the field. Demonstrates knowledge of medications and uses in the Operating Room. Assists with the mixing and administration of heparin, local anesthesia, radiology contrast dyes, antibiotic solutions, Papaverin, Thrombin, Properly labels all medication on the sterile field. Able to meet the specific care need of the patient as relates to the patient's age group. When performing second scrub role, responsibilities including holding retractors, sponging or suctioning the operative site as directed by the surgeon. Understand and properly uses instrumentation/equipment, considering the maintenance, safety and availability. Participates in the teaching of staff and students appropriate to one's experience.
- Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Certification required within 6 months of employment or at the discretion of the Department Director.
- Knowledge of aseptic technique and operating room standards and procedures, acquired through completion of course in an approved school of Surgical Technology.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively with others.
- Ability to stand continually for several hours, and move, position, transport patients stretchers, equipment and etc.
- Ability to concentrate on detail and adjust quickly to changes of assignment.
- Demonstrates responsibility for identification of techs own learning needs and communicates these needs to the appropriate resource staff.