Technology Support Specialist
Bates College | Lewiston, ME
Bates is one of the nation's leading liberal arts colleges, with a long history of commitments to principles of human dignity and diversity.
Founded by abolitionists in 1855, Bates has been coeducational and has welcomed students regardless of race and ethnicity since it's founding. The college's commitment to academic excellence, intellectual exploration, inclusivity, and engaged citizenship defines its character.
Bates offers a rigorous and highly personalized education that centers on deep and sustained interactions among students, faculty, and community. Bates engages the forces - intellectual trends, demographic changes, and technology - that are transforming higher education and the world into which our students graduate.
Bates has about 2,000 students from a wide variety of backgrounds. The student body represents 44 states and 53 countries; approximately 23 percent are domestic students of color, 7 percent of students are international, and 13 percent of all students are first generation to college.
The College has 210 faculty members and 750 staff and administrative employees. As one of the top employers in the state, Bates recruits its faculty and staff nationally, regionally, and locally. They consist of diverse individuals with a broad range of intellectual, professional, and personal experience.
Bates is proud of its deep roots in the Lewiston\/Auburn community, an urban center with a demographically diverse population of approximately 65,000 people. With a rich industrial past, Lewiston\/ Auburn has seen great transition in the last 30 years and offers opportunities for cultural enrichment and meaningful community-engaged learning and leadership. Bates is located on a beautiful, 109-acre, traditional New England campus in Lewiston, a small city enjoying an exciting economic and cultural revitalization. Bates is 35 miles north of Portland, 140 miles north of Boston, and 340 miles north of New York City.
The Technology Support Specialist is responsible for answering client questions and for troubleshooting and resolving problems related to hardware, software, and network issues in a multi-platform environment. This hands-on position provides direct support for all clients within the Bates College community. Support is provided by telephone, email, remote access, and field support to offices, labs and classrooms. This position works closely and productively with staff from Networking and Infrastructure Services, Software Development and Integration, as well as other groups within Academic and Client Services to provide superior customer service and maintain a collegial and customer-centered support environment.
Key accountabilities include the following:
- Diagnoses and repairs malfunctioning desktop\/laptop hardware and peripherals, including equipment not under warranty. Consults with vendor representatives when necessary.
- Researches and resolves client service requests in a timely manner to minimize client downtime.
- Enters problem descriptions and resolutions into call tracking software.
- Handles the detailed deployment, inventory, and tracking of all technology equipment across campus including new hardware, office moves and equipment retirement.
- Works closely with ILS staff to develop and document solutions.
- Provides training to faculty, staff, and students on the use of supported academic and administrative hardware and software.
- Provides specialized project assistance to the faculty, staff and students.
- Dispatches other resources as necessary.
Additional Job Functions:
- Communicates critical information concerning system interruptions and problems to Help Desk Support staff and other groups within ILS.
- Participates in team projects that enhance the quality and efficiency of ILS
- Requires occasional evenings and weekend assignments.
This is full-time, 12-month staff position. Occasional travel including day and overnight trips may be required.
The successful candidate will have an Associate's degree in a related field and\/or 2-5 years of relevant experience in technology support. A Bachelor's degree in a related field is desired.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 1+ years of customer service experience.
- 1+ year trouble shooting or support experience.
- Experience working in Windows, Apple, and mobile environments including hardware, software, and networking.
- Experience diagnosing and repairing Windows and Apple computers.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to effectively communicate with a diverse population of customers including students, faculty, staff, parents and alumni.
- Strong organization and detail oriented skills, problem solving and analytical abilities.
- Familiarity with standard office productivity applications.
- Ability to adapt to constantly changing technologies.
- Ability to write and speak effectively using a variety of media.
- Highly independent and able to complete in a timely manner projects integral to HDS and ILS.
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Valid Maine driver's license.
- Awareness of technology support issues.
- Experience working with diverse customer groups in an academic setting.
- Ability to provide a positive role model in stressful environment.
- Experience with end-user training.
- Experience with Help Desk Call Center operations.
- Experience with ticketing and tracking systems.
- Familiarity with basic network and file server issues.
- Familiarity with ITIL
- Familiarity with HDI.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check.
- Successful completion of a driver's license check.
Bates College offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits (health, dental, 9% retirement contribution with potential for an additional 3% match, 10 days of vacation*, 12 paid holidays, free parking, access to library and athletic facilities & more) and a supportive, collegial environment in a drug- and smoke-free workplace. *Benefits are prorated for employees working less than full-time or 12 months.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. This position requires successful completion of a pre-employment background screening. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. (References will not be contacted without your permission.)
Bates College is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and providing an educational and work environment free from discrimination. The college prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected statuses in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the administration of its education policies and programs, or in the recruitment of its faculty and staff. Bates College adheres to all applicable state and federal equal opportunity laws and regulations. All college faculty, staff, students, contractors, visitors, and volunteers are responsible for understanding and complying with the Non-Discrimination Policy.
Inquiries concerning the college's policies, compliance with applicable laws, statutes, and regulations (such as Title VII, Title IX, and ADA\/Section 504), and complaints may be directed to Gwen Lexow, Title IX Officer, 207-786-6445 or via email at email@example.com.