Bucksport Regional Health Center
Collects specimens, performs quality control and analytical testing, evaluates and reports results. Required to work flexible shifts.
- Keeps department organized to enhance workflow. Performs testing in a timely manner. Completes work assigned without compromising the quality of care.
- Demonstrates the ability to set priorities by organizing workflow in response to STAT testing and/or heavy workload. Gives priority to STAT specimens.
- Assists in training of new employees. Documents training on new employee checklist.
- Performs assigned proficiency testing within allotted time and correctly documents results.
- Willing to work extra when someone is sick, on vacation or at a meeting. Flexible about work assignments; accepts daily assignment in any area willingly, positively and with a determination to do the best possible job for the patient and the lab clients.
- Participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (QAI) activities.
- Writes legibly and accurately, with complete documentation.
- Understands and follows the procedure for critical values and documents reporting of critical results correctly.
- Understands specimen requirements. Verifies that specimen(s) meet requirements before performing testing. Knows procedure to be followed if a specimen is received that is not labeled correctly or unacceptable for test(s) ordered. Consults with Lab Manager as needed.
- Body Fluids
- Understands procedures and policies. Performs patient testing without supervision. Follows through with any incomplete procedures to ensure continuity of care. Understands clinical states that affect testing. Is able to correlate results with diagnosis and each other and questions all incompatible results.
- Knows the location of supplies and reagents. Ensures that supplies are available and notifies appropriate personnel when low.
- Documents the receipt of supplies and rotates stock appropriately. Dates and initials supplies when opened.
- Operates analyzers correctly and safely, understands procedures and policies for preventive maintenance and calibration. Knows how to interpret displays and printouts. Knows the procedure to follow when analyzer is not functioning properly. Trouble shoots analyzer problems and contacts technical support center when needed. Documents all actions taken.
- Vitros 350
- Tosho 360
- XSI 1000
- DCA Vantage
- Operates the Bactec correctly and safely. Processes positive blood cultures. Performs gram stain and reports results according to the critical value policy. Documents required information.
- Understands and follows QC policies and procedures. Verifies that the proper QC is performed before reporting patient results. Correctly prepares QC material. Performs, interprets and documents QC. Understands and documents QC corrective action.
- Serves as a resource to providers regarding antibiotic/organism combinations.
- Phlebotomy - Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs venipuncture and capillary collection according to the policies and procedures. Collects specimens efficiently and within acceptable time frame with a minimal number of resticks due to missed veins. Correctly labels all specimens drawn. Is attentive, pleasant and courteous to patients.
- Receives and processes specimens. Verifies specimens are properly labeled. Knows procedure to follow if a specimen is received that is not labeled correctly or unacceptable for test(s) ordered.
- Positively identifies patient according to policy before drawing blood.
- Understands specimen requirements before collecting specimens. Collects correct tube(s) for testing ordered. Correctly handles specimens that have special requirements. Knows procedure to follow if a specimen is not labeled correctly or unacceptable for test(s) ordered.
- Reviews written orders for proper documentation. Contacts office when additional information is needed.
- Orders laboratory testing in Orchard correctly.
- Instructs patient in proper collection of specimen(s).
- Send out - Duties & Responsibilities
- Understands procedures and policies. Knows where to find needed information using resources available. Processes sent out specimens according to the policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
Be committed to the mission of the Bucksport Regional Health Center.
Work as a member of the medical team in the performance of duties.
Be punctual for scheduled work and use time appropriately.
Work in harmonious relationships with all staff, patients, vendors and others.
Perform duties in a conscientious, cooperative manner.
Perform required amount of work in a timely fashion with a minimum of errors.
Be neat and maintain a professional appearance.
Maintain confidentiality and protect the Center by keeping information concerning Operations, patients and employees confidential.
Assist in the care, observation, and the condition of patients including the execution of procedures prescribed for the direct treatment or therapy of patients.
Performance of job requires close coordination with others. Team work is essential.
Participation in community activities as a representative of Bucksport Regional Health Center.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by the Incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel, including operation of a standard computer keyboard; reach with hands and arms and talk, see and hear; prolonged standing is required. Eye hand coordination and manual dexterity required. The employee must regularly lift/move up to 25 pounds, including assisting with moving patients, as well as bend, stoop, stretch or crouch. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in a typical medical laboratory environment. Noise level is usually quiet.
Potential exposure to hazardous and infectious materials, including blood borne pathogens. Additional characteristics include:
- Potential exposure to aggressive patients
- Work with computers, input, reading and writing.
- Potential exposure to diseases or infections
- Lifting, moving and loading less than 20 pounds
- Potential exposur to noxious odors
- Continuous sitting
- Potential exposure to very hot or cold temperatues.
Experience and Skill Requirements: The following experience and skills are considered essential
- At least 2 years of Medical Laboratory Technology experience required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and other employees.
- Ability to communicate and present information.
- Ability to read, interpret, understand and apply clinical policies and procedures.
- Ability to identify problems and recommend solutions.
- Ability to establish priorities and coordinate work activities.
Education Requirements: The following education requirements are considered essential:
- Associates degree in medical laboratory technology (or equivalent) from a program or institution accredited by a recognized regional or national accreditation agency.
- American Medical Technologists certification (MLT) preferred.
NOTE: You will be taken to our portal website to complete this action.
Posted On: January 27, 2023
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Job Status: per-diem
Similar Jobs: healthcare customer-service, Nearby 04416